Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i HAVE READ ALLSORTS ABOUT not removing the battery on my 2001 SLK and for the life of me I don't understand why not. I have owned Jags, Vettes, Jeeps, Mazda's and have alway taken the batty out and stored it in the basement. Come the spring re-install it put the code in for the radio turn the key and away you go. So please I don't agree or di-agree about leaving it in or out but what is so special about our cars that as some have stated "if you take it out it's like Appolo 13 trying to get everything working again".

As I will be putting mine away in the next week or so I'd really like a strait answer from the group.

:Beer:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Nothing special about it, fully charged batteries discharge less at colder temps. If you do remove it, you just need to :-
1. reset clock
2. input radio code
3. reset windows
4. turn steering wheel lock to lock twice with engine running.

In a way, removing it can be good, as it will remove the temptation of starting it up every so often, without taking it for a good run, which is not good.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi I have a charger one that outputs 2 amp and a little thing that does 1.5 amp I'll use one of those know matter what but like I say it made know sense to me why you shouldn't disconnect the battery from the car. The window reset is strange never heard of having to do that before on any car I have owned over the last 40 + years. Learn something everyday thank good for that. :Beer:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Don't forget, if you do remove the battery,

a) Make sure you can unlock the doors with your key before you remove it.

b) leave the bonnet/hood popped open. The windows drop a little when you open the door to clear the seal. - if you try and open them without a battery, the windows won't drop and you stand a chance of damaging the seals. (I think the windows on my R170 did - they certainly do on the R171 ).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
Wool, i don't remember with my previous, previous r170 that you don't synch the windows?

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,748 Posts
The window reset is strange never heard of having to do that before on any car I have owned over the last 40 + years. Learn something everyday thank good for that. :Beer:
Nope, never had to synch the windows, I don't think 170's have that feature.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I'm pretty sure my 170 has the auto down feature that needs to be resynched when the battery is disconnected. It does not have the auto up feature though. Owners manual is in the car, so I didn't bother to look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.