Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if it's possible to remove the antenna on my slk. I never ever ever listen to the radio, only music CDs and I think it looks ugly and distracting.

Won't there be an ugly hole there or something that I would need to fill in? And if so, with what?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would my dealership be able to put on the r170 antenna for me? I dunno, I kinda would like to remove the whole thing completely if possible.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,560 Posts
my 09 has a short antenna but is a slk 55. don't all 09s have the shorty antenna and not the whip? yes, the r170 small stubby ($58) will/should fit as i had one on my slk 05 350. Good Luck

and if you remove the antenna, you would have a stub with a screw hole left. maybe some spackle will close it. lol!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my 09 has a short antenna but is a slk 55. don't all 09s have the shorty antenna and not the whip? yes, the r170 small stubby ($58) will/should fit as i had one on my slk 05 350. Good Luck

and if you remove the antenna, you would have a stub with a screw hole left. maybe some spackle will close it. lol!

Yeah the one I have is a lot shorter, and it's black, but I still don't like it. If the S class and the SLR don't have one that's visible, I don't see why the SLK should have one visible. :p

·
96,560 Posts
we talking $100k for the sl and $500k for the slr. still better than spackle! and are you gonna get the smarttop that uses the antenna to unlock and open and close from plus 150 ft?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we talking $100k for the sl and $500k for the slr. still better than spackle! and are you gonna get the smarttop that uses the antenna to unlock and open and close from plus 150 ft?
Okay, first off the SL DOES have an antenna. I was talking about the S class, as well as the SLR to give you an example of mercedes cars that do not have the antenna EXPOSED.

You can't possibly be implying that a car must be 500k to have the luxury of no exposed antenna. How about a '99 toyota solara that has no exposed antenna, is that one too luxurious to be compared with the SLK? :p

·
96,560 Posts
true, true. and the gang in my old nyc neighborhood will pull the antenna off for no charge!

·
96,560 Posts
the r170 stubby is not much shorter than the one you have now. plus as i mentioned, if you eventually get the smarttop module, it uses rf and would appreciate a little longer antenna. order the stubbyfrom your mb dealer, try it, and return it if u do not.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
if you take the antenna off completely, your range will be less than 1 foot from the driver side door (i know, i took mine off completely, including the hub). I'm looking for a good concealed antenna to replace it right now, that covers the same frequency as the remote key. Cost wise, you are looking at a minimum of $1000 for the work to cover the hole and painting the panel.

BTW, the range on our antenna is significantly better than your Toyota corolla, so you don't have to be condescending.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Gents - you can always retro-fit the W203 "internal to bumper" antenna if you really wanted to. Benz lists the visible antenna as a "design feature" of the car - who knows. Given that the W203 is not exactly a top-o-the-line Mercedes, I kinda go with the design feature thought - but that's me.

Still leaves you with a hole to fill, but a cheesy body shop will take care of that for about $200, and a good one will be just a bit more.

As has been mentioned before, removing the antenna is going to render your smartkey rather dumb.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you take the antenna off completely, your range will be less than 1 foot from the driver side door (i know, i took mine off completely, including the hub). I'm looking for a good concealed antenna to replace it right now, that covers the same frequency as the remote key. Cost wise, you are looking at a minimum of $1000 for the work to cover the hole and painting the panel.

BTW, the range on our antenna is significantly better than your Toyota corolla, so you don't have to be condescending.
Condescending? Hmm, maybe you misunderstood me. I don't have a toyota corolla. I'm talking about the SLK that I own. I was, however, using the solara as an example of a much lower quality car that doesn't have a visible antenna after the comment about how an SLK doesn't cost as much as some other mercedes that DO NOT have a visible antenna. On another note, I didn't realize that the antenna had any more significance than being able to listen to the radio. I guess in that case I would want to look for a way to get a concealed antenna? Or the smarttop module?

You'll have to bear with me, I know virtually nothing about the mechanics of a car. lol

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Condescending? Hmm, maybe you misunderstood me. I don't have a toyota corolla. I'm talking about the SLK that I own. I was, however, using the solara as an example of a much lower quality car that doesn't have a visible antenna after the comment about how an SLK doesn't cost as much as some other mercedes that DO NOT have a visible antenna. On another note, I didn't realize that the antenna had any more significance than being able to listen to the radio. I guess in that case I would want to look for a way to get a concealed antenna? Or the smarttop module?

You'll have to bear with me, I know virtually nothing about the mechanics of a car. lol
Try this:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1402463-antenna-solution.html

It's a post from a friend in another forum, who removed his antenna, plugged the hole with a stub, then put his whip in the fender, and then filled the hole. Interesting reading if you can read the whole thing and it will answer most of your questions, I think...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try this:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1402463-antenna-solution.html

It's a post from a friend in another forum, who removed his antenna, plugged the hole with a stub, then put his whip in the fender, and then filled the hole. Interesting reading if you can read the whole thing and it will answer most of your questions, I think...
Cool. Except, all of the pictures in his link do not show the antenna spot of the car or anything, they are just of his family and vacations etc. lol

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Cool. Except, all of the pictures in his link do not show the antenna spot of the car or anything, they are just of his family and vacations etc. lol
Hmmm. I haven't looked at the link since I first saw it several months ago. Lemme see if I can find where the photos went via a PM...

In fact he has been on here under the same moniker, SLKCop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.