Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2015 SLK350
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not able to remove the spare tire from the trunk.I have removed the tire cover and the screw that holds the tire in place. However, I am not able to lift the tire out of the wheel well. There is not enough clearance to pull the tire and wheel free. Are there other parts that need to be removed first?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Ken

·
* Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,027 Posts

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,115 Posts
Sneaky Pete are you using that world famous 'search' feature the forum has? :D :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
Wow.. this is definitely something to have a go at tomorrow...

No way would we want to be stuck on the roadside trying to figure how it works.. and it would probably be in the dark, on a wet night...:surprise:

Anyway the link "How to take out spare tyre" has some great ideas...

now, where is that old cereal packet..... :smile::smile:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use our cigarette lighter air pump every now and then, so I've had to take over the spare tire numerous times. The best advice is to lift up on one side of the tire while simulataneously pushing down on the opposite side.

I never thought about where to place the flat tire if I really do have to drive on the spare tire.......

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
Well.. We walked to our garage prepared to do battle with the spare tyre.. (the royal We, of course, means Clive).

Having already read this thread and the handy link, a muesli carton was at hand..

To my astonishment, Clive had no problem at all.. took off the cover, unscrewed the huge nut, then carefully heaved the tyre up and over the rim of the boot...

Now, either he is Superman (I like to think so) or our little 2005 SLK 200Kompressor has something different in the layout/size/fixing ..I have no idea.. and the black plastic/polystyrene tray underneath appears to be undamaged despite the car's age...

However, I admit....there is no way I would be able to get the tyre out, on my own...with or without my muesli box.. :|:|

I think a can of stuff to block the leak.. will be on my Christmas list..:wink::wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.