Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what steps are involved in removing/installing the front torsion bar (or sway bar).

I'm thinking as a minimum removal is :

1. Raise front of car, place jacks stands, remove both front wheels
2. Perhaps remove some of the plastic underbody panels to improve access
3. Unbolt left and right torsion bar linkages from torsion bar
4. Unbolt torsion bar brackets from left and right chassis rails
5. ?????
6. ????? etc.

Installation would be the reverse.

As to steps 5, 6 etc., given that the torsion bar sits neatly below the chassis rails and above the engine cradle can the torsion bar simply be pulled sideways to the left or right side of the car? Or are there more steps involved like lowering the engine cradle, or removing a suspension strut etc.? I'm worried that the cranked ends of the torsion bar prevent easy extraction.

Thanks.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
I am wondering what steps are involved in removing/installing the front torsion bar (or sway bar).

I'm thinking as a minimum removal is :

1. Raise front of car, place jacks stands, remove both front wheels
2. Perhaps remove some of the plastic underbody panels to improve access
3. Unbolt left and right torsion bar linkages from torsion bar
4. Unbolt torsion bar brackets from left and right chassis rails
5. ?????
6. ????? etc.

Installation would be the reverse.

As to steps 5, 6 etc., given that the torsion bar sits neatly below the chassis rails and above the engine cradle can the torsion bar simply be pulled sideways to the left or right side of the car? Or are there more steps involved like lowering the engine cradle, or removing a suspension strut etc.? I'm worried that the cranked ends of the torsion bar prevent easy extraction.

Thanks.
All of your steps are required and the engine cradle also has to be dropped to get the bar out. This will likely require other things to be detached such as the steering column and such. I haven't done the job so I don't know first hand how far the cradle has to come down in order to get the bar out.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,871 Posts
All of your steps are required and the engine cradle also has to be dropped to get the bar out. This will likely require other things to be detached such as the steering column and such. I haven't done the job so I don't know first hand how far the cradle has to come down in order to get the bar out.

Mmmm are you sure the all that work is needed ??

Done a c class 2005 and was a peace of piss . :grin:

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,871 Posts
Question is what is wrong with his roll bar ?
Our the roll bar rubbers worn ?
Bend bar ?
And if so can you get the rubbers seperate or are the like previous mercs moulded to the bar ??

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, I do mean the stabilizer bar, which Mercedes call torsion bay and yet others call sway bar.

So the docs posted above do say that the engine cradle needs to be lowered to remove the torsion bar, and lowering the engine cradle calls for a raft of other tasks as well.

There is nothing wrong with the torsion bar on my SLK200, but I have a spare torsion bar from an SLK350 which is stiffer (it's about 2mm larger in diameter) and I was contemplating fitting this together with the larger rubbers etc., but you have changed my mind on this.

I'm capable of doing it myself, but it's apparent it's too much effort for what it might achieve.

I have four W163 MLs and I could swap the torsion bar on one of these in about 90 minutes, but on the SLK it looks to be a whole day's work and not without risk of unexpected problems and a need for other parts.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.