Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked and looked all over the Interwebs and can not find anything on the subject. but i fear i May have to remove my gas tank due to a Slight leak from underneath. The hoses going to Pump and Filter are all dry and the inside of the Car smells like there is an open can of Petrol sitting under the seat. Can not smell from outside and no marks on ground (i did the Newspaper test) and this happens when the Tank is Full and Close to empty and everywhere in between. Ive also looked at the filler neck and all other causes of the gas smell i could find here and through other outlets. so again after looking at the fuel pump / filter the one fitting going into the tank has a rubber boot. moved the boot and al though the Pipe is dry the area around the pipe is slightly rusty and is just the slightest amount of Damp and the Dampness smells like gas.

So sorry for rambling but i knew the typical question would come like "well did you look at this?" "dd you check that?" Ect..

has any one here removed the tank and if so is there a Write up on it or any WiS Documents to see whats needed. I currently have my entire trunk ripped apart as Im working on the PSE and the Vario Roof so nothing except for the Gas tank shield is there. I'm hoping i can just un bolt the shield and disconnect the lines and pull it right out but i doubt its that simple.

Thanks and again sorry for rambling

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,807 Posts
I've looked all around and the only place i see any kind of leak is the bottom of the Tank but i guess its worth a look and probably worth replacing anyway if i'm replacing the tank

Thanks
Those things have been known to be problematic in the past but I haven't seen any threads pertaining to them for some time now .. it might be worth putting a search in just to see what you come up with

1 - 6 of 6 Posts