Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked and looked all over the Interwebs and can not find anything on the subject. but i fear i May have to remove my gas tank due to a Slight leak from underneath. The hoses going to Pump and Filter are all dry and the inside of the Car smells like there is an open can of Petrol sitting under the seat. Can not smell from outside and no marks on ground (i did the Newspaper test) and this happens when the Tank is Full and Close to empty and everywhere in between. Ive also looked at the filler neck and all other causes of the gas smell i could find here and through other outlets. so again after looking at the fuel pump / filter the one fitting going into the tank has a rubber boot. moved the boot and al though the Pipe is dry the area around the pipe is slightly rusty and is just the slightest amount of Damp and the Dampness smells like gas.

So sorry for rambling but i knew the typical question would come like "well did you look at this?" "dd you check that?" Ect..

has any one here removed the tank and if so is there a Write up on it or any WiS Documents to see whats needed. I currently have my entire trunk ripped apart as Im working on the PSE and the Vario Roof so nothing except for the Gas tank shield is there. I'm hoping i can just un bolt the shield and disconnect the lines and pull it right out but i doubt its that simple.

Thanks and again sorry for rambling

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,001 Posts
I've looked all around and the only place i see any kind of leak is the bottom of the Tank but i guess its worth a look and probably worth replacing anyway if i'm replacing the tank

Thanks
Those things have been known to be problematic in the past but I haven't seen any threads pertaining to them for some time now .. it might be worth putting a search in just to see what you come up with

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know its been 11 months But haven't been on here in Quite some time and I really Hate Unresolved threads so here it is Me resolving it.

I removed The Gas tank requires the Entire trunk to be Removed (the Plastics) and remove all the Bolts that hold the Silver Plate in the Back on the Truck (this actually holds the gas tank in) then take that out remove the sound proofing "carpet" then undo the 4 Bolts holding the Gas tank and as long as the lines are disconnected from the bottom and the Filler cap is dislodged it pulls right out with some suggestion of course. Putting back in was easy. after Coating the Tank with Zinc cromate Primer paint. (2 coats) as the tank i pulled out had a MASSIVE rust spot on the Right side right near where the Right "speaker" is and Cleaning as much Raw gas as i could out of the insulation (it was really Loaded in there) Dropped the Tank right in. NOw be careful as there are a lot of Lines around where your putting the Filler Neck (pse, Hydraulic lines and Tons of Wires). Also Replaced the Seal on the "sender Unit" as it had to be removed anyway (cheap 5 dollar security" and Pro tip i would fit the "insulation" on and over the top of the Tank before putting back in as the struggle to secure the bolts is 10 times easier than trying to SHOVE all that Matting Behind the tank once in. Then Put all the bolts on the silver plate back in "making sure not to pinch any HYDRO lines in the process" then reassemble the Truck plastics and Re fill With Fuel. I put in a few ounces of Stabil 360 in with the initial fill up of 8 gallons (its all the Fresh Prem I had)

If i missed anything feel free to ask. Thanks again for all the Help Guys

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,001 Posts
And photos .. always photos .. we like photos .. a bit late now tho 🙃

Glad you sorted it (y)

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The obvious ...............

What was causing the leak / fumes ?
There was A rust spot with what seemed like 2 Pinholes that you could see would get wet when tilted so if the tank had any more than a Quarter tank of gas it would drip out right where the Right hand Rear speaker was. then it would soak into the matting and never really evaporate.. So if you Smell gas in the Car but no outside and see no drips check the tank it could be rusted like mine .

And sorry didnt really take any pics of this process as it was rather rushed as i had not planned to work on the car that weekend and I Really didnt start documenting this "build" until like 3 months ago when i finally decided what her long term plan was. But i got plenty in store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts