Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the smart top plug in for about a month with no problems whatsoever. The day after I installed Mid-City's remote start on my 05 SLK 350, the nightmare began. I'm starting to think the two devices are not compatible. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
I used the smart top plug in for about a month with no problems whatsoever. The day after I installed Mid-City's remote start on my 05 SLK 350, the nightmare began. I'm starting to think the two devices are not compatible. Does anyone have experience with this?
probably not compatible as mods4cars, maker of smarttop, have stopped selling their remote start i believe

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I will have to choose between remote start vs. remote for the top. With summer coming on, I'm leaning towards the remote top feature. About 24 hours after installing the remote starter (and using it maybe 5 times), my car now seems to be possessed by an evil spirit. I am beside myself with grief actually b/c I've only had the car about 3 months and have enjoyed it beyond words. I tried turning the smarttop off, but that is not working. My next move is to uninstall the remote starter (UGH!) and see it the car returns to normal. If that does not work, I will consider performing an exorcism on the car.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
so you disabled the smarttop for testing the remote start?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you disabled the smarttop for testing the remote start?

It did not occur to me to disable the smart top before testing the remote start. The remote start worked fine several times and I considered it a successful install....until the next day when the Gremlins arrived. I turned off the smarttop but still the car is acting goofy-sudden unwarranted malfunction messages (ESP SRS Brake Speedtronic). From a cold start the display reads 185 F, and the cooling fan fires right up with the car. I wish I'd never heard of remote start and just been satisfied with the remote top.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
if you turned off/disabled the smarttop and the remote start, then try a battery reset to get back to normal

disconnect the negative cable for a minimum of 30 minutes
reconnect cable
reset clock and synch windows
if no error messages, enable the smart top or don't enable and try the remote start

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you turned off/disabled the smarttop and the remote start, then try a battery reset to get back to normal

disconnect the negative cable for a minimum of 30 minutes
reconnect cable
reset clock and synch windows
if no error messages, enable the smart top or don't enable and try the remote start

I will certainly try that tomorrow. Thank you VERY much for the advice. If I may ask-why should I reset the clock? Seems like the last thing I care about at this point. And perhaps just as important, what does "sink the windows" mean and how do I do that?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
synch the windows (in your manual btw) adjusts the windows when they open and close. you notice that when you open your door and the window drops an inch? and when u close the door, the window goes up to seal?

the clock? just because

and forgive me but i have to make sure you know that the smarttop and the vario roof are 2 different things. don't get the smarttop mixed up with the smartkey fob.

did you buy the smarttop yourself?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
you synch the windows by opening the windows, then closing them but keep your finger on the close switch for an extra 2 seconds or click sound

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
synch the windows (in your manual btw) adjusts the windows when they open and close. you notice that when you open your door and the window drops an inch? and when u close the door, the window goes up to seal?

the clock? just because

and forgive me but i have to make sure you know that the smarttop and the vario roof are 2 different things. don't get the smarttop mixed up with the smartkey fob.

did you buy the smarttop yourself?

Sounds like I had better read up on synching the windows before I disconnect the battery. unfortunately one of my windows is partially down (3-4 inches) and I can't put it back up (just one more crazy symptom). I don't know what a vario top is. I am dealing with the Smart Start from Mid-City (which was purchased new and installed by myself) and the Smart Top from Mods4cars (also purchased new and installed by me).

As stated, the Smart Top worked great until I added the Smart Start. Then all hell broke loose.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
the vario roof is the roof that we all have. it is the hard top convertible roof

synching is a no brainer and should be done anytime battery is disconnected or the windows are not acting right other than a window control module problem

you convinced me you have the smarttop :D

take a brewski and get your free gift

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I LOVED (past tense) my Smart Top for about 2 months. Then I decided to install Mid-City's Smart Remote Starter and about 24 hrs the nightmare began. My car is now possessed, possibly by Satan himself. I have an 05 SLK 350. Not sure if the SmartKey Starter is to blame but my car is going nuts with sudden and unwarranted malfunction messages (ESP, SRS, Speedtronic, even the Brake Wear message). No signals or high beams, display instantly shows 185 F upon cold start, and the fan comes on at start. To top it all off, my window is down about 4 inches and rain is coming.

SO....has anyone out there successfully installed both mods (Mid-City's SmartKey AND Mods4cars SmartTop) on their SLK? At the time of this writing I'm convinced the two simply are not compatible. Either that or that creepy old witch that the PO ran over put a curse on my car. Help/advice/support please!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
remember to try the battery reset I mentioned and let us know how that goes and window synch

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I left the battery disconnected for one hour plus, but it had no impact. Today I disconnected the remote starter and plugged the eis in as normal. Still, the same problems exist. The SmartTop unit is turned off and the remote starter is completely uninstalled. The battery is disconnected again, this time I will let it sit for 12+ hours (work). Wish me luck!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Good luck. I don't think you need it that long but work is work!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
well i doubt the issue is with your smarttop but you should get your car back to oem shape so the vario roof works as it is supposed to. does the roof work with the roof button when you hold it either forward or back (roof up or down)? remember you have to hold it continuously. forgive me if you know that or tired it.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have only engaged the top by pushing the button up (with the top up). It does appear that the pump is getting the message as I hear noise. With all the problems I'm having, coupled with torrential rain, I am afraid to put the top down. The window decided to go up, but both windows still crack open automatically (like when you grab the door handle) and they stay cracked, as they are right now.
When the problems first manifested themselves, I was an hour away from home (and the dreaded dealership). I knew there was no way physically possible that the engine was at 185 F (like the display said) so I just drove home. About halfway the error messages disappeared one by one, the heat controls stopped blinking and the lights started working normally. After thanking my God several times I got home with no issues. The next day, same scenario-car starts acting goofy-and again I just drove home and miraculously things went back to normal. SO, now with the remote start uninstalled and the smart top turned off, I'm going to drive the car and pray that it returns to an OEM state. If the zaniness returns a third time, my next trip will likely be to the dealer. From that point on I may be sleeping in my car and using smoke signals to post since I'm sure I will have to sell an organ or two to the black market to pay the repair bill (kidding about most of that).

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
That's funny! :D

? if the top is up, you need to pull back on the button to make it go down.
and vice versa....push button forward if top is down

or did i misunderstand you?

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
The Slk's are very delicate battery wise, how old is yours?

The fact that on your journey home the errors started to dissapear may be a result of running the battery down during the installation and getting some charge back into it during the journey, although it might not be 100% ok as the problems persist !

I might be a good idea to try a new battery, possibly one with a bit more power, such as the Varta E44...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.