Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the windshield replaced about a month ago by a shop that I trust and they have done many windshield for me, all with no problems. Right before I had the windshield replaced, I replaced the batteries in both remotes, but since having the windshield replace the Lock/Unlock works Intermittently. Sometimes it will work from 15ft away and sometimes only when I am right next to the car. Since this has happened, I have again replaced the batteries in the remotes and no change.

Since there are times it works great and other times it doesn't, it makes me think that a wire has been damage and it losing its connection.

But I don't know how this works,
1) does the windshield have an antenna in it for this purpose? There are multiple lines running through the glass. the shop has already said they will replace the glass if needed at no charge.
2) if the antenna is in the glass, then is the connection damage or not hooked up solid
3) is the receiver antenna for this in the "A" pillars and maybe damaged from the windshield replacement?

Any information or wire diagrams would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
From My knowledge of the R171, it used the Radio antenna to receive the Radio signal from the remote un-locking key flobs.

So moving onto the R172, it does have various wires in bedded in the windscreen to receive FM/DAB (for us owners in the UK)
Plus I'm guessing, to pick up the signal from the remote door un-locking key flobs.

Now, while threading My dash-cam USB cable up the inside of the "A Pillar" Trim, I did see the module(s) that these wires in the windscreen connect to, but didn't (for once) take any pictures...
Which might have helped identified which module did the remote door control..

But My advice if they remote locking worked correctly before the windscreen was replace, is to take the car back for them to look into? (The variation in un-locking distance could be due to how much local radio interference is blocking the signal at the time..?)

Keep us updated on how You get on, as You won't be the last person to replace R172 windscreen:

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
@NMBruce please see the attached pdf file. The Central Locking Antenna amplifier is combined with the FM/AM antenna amplifier( A2/18) and is located on the left hand side behind the A pillar trim. Are you still getting FM/AM radio reception? Did the installer use an OEM Windshield?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look into the “A” pillar this week and I will check the AM/FM today. If I can not find any loose wires or something else to explain this problem, then I will get the windshield replaced. I want to do some checking first and try to understand how this works, it’s a 3.5 hour drive to the glass shop.

The windshield is not OEM, as I can not afford that. This one was $450 and this shop gave me a discount of $200 -$500 over everyone else in Albuquerque and a $1000 savings over our local shop, yes my local shop want $1400.. I did not go through my insurance because I didn’t want another claim and insurance price increase. USAA just raised my premiums by $75 a month because of a minor accident, the damage of a another cars hood.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@NMBruce please see the attached pdf file. The Central Locking Antenna amplifier is combined with the FM/AM antenna amplifier( A2/18) and is located on the left hand side behind the A pillar trim. Are you still getting FM/AM radio reception? Did the installer use an OEM Windshield?
It’s hard to tell as I live in a small mountain town and and we have only a few stations. Right now sitting in the same spot, I went from getting one FM station to 5 mins later getting 6 stations. As for AM, there’s one station and it’s bad, don’t know if that the station or the car.
While typing this I now have 10 FM stations and 6 are very clear.

Locking and unlocking the car today,
1) in the garage, I tried the remote, worked from across the garage about 20ft.
2) at the Autoparts store 5ft
3) next stop it would only work at about a foot
4) next stop about 10ft
5) back in the garage about 10ft (tried the second remote for this time and it work at about 11-12ft)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts