·
Registered 1999 SLK230
1999 SlK230 2001 SLK320 2003 CL55 17 jeeps
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,812 Posts
Ok well I guess I was wrong about it being IR the remote on my SLK230 and my SLK320 both have the red window so I assumed.
The Red Window is called the Viewing Window, it should faintly light up when you activate either the Lock or the Unlock button - This is solely to tell you if the fob batteries are flat or not.

TIP - Hold it deep within your hand and you should see the light.. like a hallelujah moment ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,812 Posts
I agree with @Dave2302
My batteries in the spare key for The Blue One were flat for years before I replaced them ~ no need to synch
Likewise for The Silver One, flat batteries when I took ownership of it ~ no need to synch

:cool:

Synching is mentioned elsewhere though..
From the manual..
Remote Synch.jpg

And from something that I found on my PC that states "up to 31.05.97"

Attachments

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I changed the battery and still no light up. I opened the remote up to change case and noticed the circuit board was damaged and missing pieces so I know for sure it’s broken. I compared the SLK320 to the SLK230 remote to verify missing pieces. So I know I will need to replace the remote portion. The key and chip work fine car starts and runs for the last year. So has anyone actually tried buying one of these remotes from eBay and been able to make them work? If not then I guess I will have to buy one and find out.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
5,378 Posts
is there a process to allow the new fob to function if I used the key and chip from the broken remote?
I have never heard of a "Virgin Circuit Board", as far as I've ever gone is to use SDS and try and re program them, there is however no option.

If MB sell the RF PCB separately then it will come pre programmed.

Yes, you need to keep the Key Blade and Transponder Chip, unless you buy a complete new Key from MB.

I'm not certain if an Independent MB Locksmith could do this, @Deplore may well know more than I

HTH ;)

·
5,378 Posts
the owner's manual mentions something about resynching keys, no?
It does, but myself and others have tried it to no avail, it makes reference to pointing the Key at dome light or similar, which suggests the procedure is only for IR Keys.
@M4rCu5 gave us a 1997 date which suggests only for IR and only very early Cars ;)

I also tried it recently with SDS but could find no method / option to do so ;)

HTH :)

·
5,378 Posts
Sorry for multiple posts, the Key listed above is for ML, I am absolutely positive that uses different method of Drive Auth and likely RF too (ML does not have DAS / RF Module) ;)

Hopefully @Deplore will be able to put us right ;)

If someone is actually selling "Virgin" PCB's and they work, then I wanna know about it :D :D :D

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dave2302 I don’t mean to sound stupid but I guess I am ignorant, what is ML? And what is DAS?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,263 Posts
ML like a GL....like an SLK :D

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,263 Posts
What is Xentry DAS Diagnostics?
Xentry DAS (Diagnostic Assistance System) is the complete diagnosis system that is used to troubleshoot Mercedes-Benz car problems and is the official Mercedes-Benz dealer software. It can configure, reprogram, initialization of new components, program, perform guided tests, read or erase fault codes in any of the systems including AirMatic, AirBag, SRS, EIS, Transmission, ETS, BAS, and all of the control modules. DAS Xentry software requires the C3 Multiplexer Star or C4 SD Connect hardware. The c3 multiplexer is an earlier model that was replaced by the C4 SD Connect. To operate Xentry, you will need a laptop with a serial port RS232 to connect the Multiplexer and run the Xentry software. The online marked is flooded with pirated versions of Xentry Diagnostic scanner, so be careful and avoid those hacked versions

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,124 Posts
All kinds of info (use search 😉 )

Reactions: Dave2302

·
5,378 Posts
ML ....

The ML reference was because it uses the same Fob Key

DAS has 2 meanings, Jeff and Len got the first one above (y)

In your case DAS / RF is the Drive Authorisation System / Radio Frequency Module,

DAS is the Immobiliser part, RF is the Central Locking reciever, all housed in one module ;)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
1,027 Posts
I know nothing about MB keys but I once bought a new key assembly for an Audi A8. I swapped the blade and the PCB and thought that was that. When the key didn’t work I looked inside the original key and found a small, glass transponder that had to be swapped along with the blade and PCB. I really don’t know if the Merc key has one of these or indeed if this helps at all but you never know.

Best of luck sorting it out, these things can be so frustrating!

ATB: John.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well there we go back to dealer only I guess. Thanks everyone for clearing up my ignorance. I didn’t know the ML models used a different system than the SLK R170 models. And I thought the SLK was the simpleton of MB products.

·
* Registered - Looking for an SLK
Fleet of bottom feeder W210's....
177 Posts
That eBay listing is indeed for a w163. I'm not aware of any PCB key being sold as virgin, because when you program a replacement remote you have to remove the eeprom to sync the remote info in it anyway.

Now, granted, I've not tried a "virgin" eBay key kit on R170.... But I doubt it works. DAS needs the little chip, and remote is programmed separately.

On the ML you could get away with swapping the PCB and sync, but not SLK, the protocol is different. Would love to be proven wrong....

·
5,378 Posts
Would love to be proven wrong....
Thanks buddy, ya won't be proven wrong, that is exactly how I understand it, and as ya know, I've played with SLK Starting, C/L and drive auth more that yer average ole Bear ;)

Reactions: Deplore

·
Registered 2010 SLK350
1 Posts
Hello all
My IR portion of my key fob got broken. I have seen sellers on eBay selling new blank key fobs with uncut keys. Is it possible to swap my cut key and it’s chip to the new fob and do the key turn press buttons sequence to get the new IR to work my doors?
Good morning. 6 months ago, when I bought my SLK I wanted a second fob, ordered one on E Bay, I think, and tried to get Lowes to program it, not. They said only Merceded can program the fob so I returned it. Looks like you're stuck with Mercedes prices or just keep your cut key for a backup.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts