Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi , here is a good one. Last week I fitted my new rear lights which obviously meant removing some boot panels etc. Whilst doing this I left my smart key in the boot area. When they were fitted I put it all back together and everything was fine except the smart key wouldn't lock/unlock set alarm. I tried the JBANKS 30 mins battery rule but it didn't work so I left it about 2 hrs then tried the key reset by holding down the 2 buttons on the smartkey and success it worked fine. It has been perfect for over a week now but today I fitted the brighter Led loom from Durkatlon which is absolutely superb but made the mistake of leaving the smartkey in the boot again with the same result...it doesn't work. This time however the reset doesn't work either and I've tried everything else including checking wiring and putting the whip aerial back on. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks:frown: BTW forgot to mention I have 2 smart keys the other one was nowhere near the car. The batteries in both are fine as is the car battery.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
so the smartkey works to start the car but not to unlock it?
do u have another smartkey?
have you tried it?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
I would then suspect remote batteries not really great. manual also states similar.

you check the other end of that antenna that coax is not loose?
there is a thread on getting to it to check

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Nope.............. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
when you check it, you'll know :D bet you it is loose.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
sat nav and radio use different antenna.
either the antenna on boot lid for the sat (sirius) which he would not have in the UK or in the mirror assembly for the nav

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Question..does your door handles have the little black squares just under them?

Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but if so you have the infra red ones that have nothing to do with the antenna, unless you have a smarttop installed...

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
door handle infrared is for vario roof only. lock/unlock uses rf and radio antenna, correct me if i am wrong :D

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi folks I'm back. I've checked the cables and connections and they are all OK. There is power to fuse 8 at the rear sam and the fuse was OK too. The radio works fine. I don't have the little squares by the door handles. Could it actually be a fault in the aerial amplifier itself do you think ?. Checked the batteries in the remotes they were all 2.96 to 2.97 volts but tried new ones anyway with no difference. Running out of ideas now. BTW both keys work in the ignition and central locking works in the car. Thanks everyone

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could it be the rear sam? Just seems strange that both times it has failed is when I've taken out the boot liners so I must have knocked or moved something yet it all looks fine in there. Is there any way other than replacement to test either unit (Sam and aerial amplifier) or to test continuity of the leads between the Sam and the amplifier ?. Thanks

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
Hi folks I'm back. I've checked the cables and connections and they are all OK. There is power to fuse 8 at the rear sam and the fuse was OK too. The radio works fine. I don't have the little squares by the door handles. Could it actually be a fault in the aerial amplifier itself do you think ?. Checked the batteries in the remotes they were all 2.96 to 2.97 volts but tried new ones anyway with no difference. Running out of ideas now. BTW both keys work in the ignition and central locking works in the car. Thanks everyone
I had an ongoing issue, until last weekend. Operating distance gradually reduced, so I removed fob battery and tested it. Showed 2.98v, so I installed a new one from a pack I had. That tested 3.0v - so I assumed it must be good. The operating distance wasn't great, but reduced drastically over the next few weeks. By this point, I was beginning to assume there was a corroded/loose connection on the coax somewhere, as the voltage on the battery was still 2.9/3.0v. Anyway, I bought a new pack of batteries as a 'belt and braces' final check, and to my delight and amazement, it worked perfectly. Lesson learned - batteries that seem good on a multimeter may not supply enough power for a good RF pulse.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. My car has decided to self heal. God knows why it happened in the first place but all I did today was pull the fuse from the rear sam and replace it not for the first time. This time however everything is working so once again thank you.:Beer::Beer:

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I had an ongoing issue, until last weekend. Operating distance gradually reduced, so I removed fob battery and tested it. Showed 2.98v, so I installed a new one from a pack I had. That tested 3.0v - so I assumed it must be good. The operating distance wasn't great, but reduced drastically over the next few weeks. By this point, I was beginning to assume there was a corroded/loose connection on the coax somewhere, as the voltage on the battery was still 2.9/3.0v. Anyway, I bought a new pack of batteries as a 'belt and braces' final check, and to my delight and amazement, it worked perfectly. Lesson learned - batteries that seem good on a multimeter may not supply enough power for a good RF pulse.
Check the amp rating on multi-tester and compare the known "fresh" batteries against the old?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.