Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before.
Im upgrading my 200 K 1.8 petrol to stage 1, I'm mostly certain i don't need to worry about upgrading any components like clutch or injectors etc.

Am i correct? I'm booking it in soon and want to make sure i don't need to have money aside for any upgrades.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Correct. It will be a long time before any of the ancillaries need uprating!

As a matter of interest, you say Stage 1. What exactly are you having done? I ask as to achieve the real Stage 1 (such as AMG do in Germany for the racing cars) I believe you need to bore the block out to 2000cc and have a forged crankshaft fitted to cope with the higher rpm (this though could be Stage 2 - I am not well versed on the detail). I'd be interested in who is doing it for you, and prices, as tuners on the M271 engines in the UK are very far a few between. It is a pity as the engine is highly rated in club racing in Germany, and of course dominated Formula3 for a long time. With the right engineering, an SLK200 could be quite a beast!

Or, are you having the engine uprated to 180 from the 160 you have now using standard parts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that!
Its a remap for 40-ish bhp from the 160 to 200 bhp. Im going to Ecotune and they are charging 349 GBP and is the best remap and tuning place that i have found and had the most satisfied customers!:smile:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Good! Hope you enjoy it! Yes, Ecotune look like a decent bolt on tuning shop - although they appear to be more VAG and BMW minded.

When you get the tuning bug though, I still fear there will be no one up your way who can take you beyond the 200 barrier! You will have to wait for the new M133 engine to unleash its 360 horses to the world next year which AMG say can be easily tuned to bring in over 500hp.

Interestingly it is AMG who are pioneering the small engines now. leading the way in F1 by miles with their 1.6 V6 and now this M133 2.0 claimed to be the most powerful 4 cyl production engine in the world. I just wonder if the days of the big V8s and V12s are numbered…

A picture of what to expect:

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Perhaps you should also bear in mind that your car is over 10 years old and if mileage is typical for age and its still on the original clutch, then pumping another 25% more power through it might cause problems.
Russ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that! And my slk is 11 years old and only done 30k miles so hoping the remap won't affect the clutch for a good while!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Id like to see if they can get the 1.8 face lift 181bhp and add an extra 40bhp to say 221bhp .

That would be worth the dosh if if .
Even though its allready been tweaked already by mercs .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts