Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered no SLK owned
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps,

so I've gone down the rabbit hole recently and decided to go for the common x pipe on the SLK 55 AMG. Decided to go X pipe 2nd cat delete like dbgrn has had done. Coupled with a remap I should squeeze a bit more fun out of the car ! I've been told by MSL that i should expect 10-25bhp with the map and 10bhp with the exhaust mod. So should be at around 380-395 bhp at the crank.

Going to MSL this saturday of the map/exhaust mods but there exhaust guy Immy had moved my booking back to september 2nd. So will get map done this weekend and go back for the final work. Better that way i think. Immy quoted 4-5 hours for the exhaust and MSL quoted 2-3 hours for the map. Don't want to be there all day! :wink:

Needless to say ill get some videos and pics of the car on the dyno. look forward to hearing the beast roar indoors ! >:D>:D>:D

Ill keep you'll posted :)

Cheers,

Olly

·
Registered no SLK owned
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well an interesting update, took the car to MSL this morning and had the guys do the remap. They did the stock run and got 366 bhp which is more than standard. Acid and he colleague asked me if the car already had a map on it. Not that we where aware of so he over written the new MSL map and the car intact ran slightly less bhp but gains better fuelling ratio. He said obviously you came here for more power and with our map your now running less but you will gain in drivability and higher in the revs.

Over all I'm happy with the results and it feels much better to drive.

Video to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
Getting the same exhaust mod done myself next month. Why not go with magnaflow xpipe? Might save some labour time/cost. Can't remember how much it cost for mine but wasn't that much.

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,698 Posts
Over the years I have read various mags ect about amg engines that have all said that the quoted engine bhp is less than the actual output. Guess your figures also confirm that :smile:

Good stuff

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
513 Posts
How was your experience of MSL Olly ?

I did a fair bit of research before I had my mods done to my 32, and I must say I was well impressed.
The customer care and attention to detail were excellent, and the exhaust guy Imran is top notch.

They weren't the cheapest quote that I received, but the quality of work was second to none and I wouldn't hesitate to let them loose on my AMG again :smile:

·
Registered no SLK owned
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How was your experience of MSL Olly ?

I did a fair bit of research before I had my mods done to my 32, and I must say I was well impressed.

The customer care and attention to detail were excellent, and the exhaust guy Imran is top notch.

They weren't the cheapest quote that I received, but the quality of work was second to none and I wouldn't hesitate to let them loose on my AMG again :smile:

I can second what you said. Good customer service and looked after my car. Exhaust work looked good too. Nicely tig'ed up

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,931 Posts
I would say no since you still would have the O2 sensors

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Question: if one deletes the secondary cats, and installs an X-Pipe, is special re-coding required?
I would say no since you still would have the O2 sensors

@Grinch - Jeff is correct. That's what I had done and I have had no recoding done - I had the work done in December 2014 (see link in signature), and I've had no issues. :tu:

·
Registered no SLK owned
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And it's done ! My my what a difference in sound. The car sounds so monstrous I can't describe it. The welding work was all good and very well executed. Added a 5" wide section in the middle of the X. Yes it was expensive at £500 but after he had explained that this method is increasing the flow of the exhaust and will result in more power !

On the Dyno it ran before mods 366 and after the exhaust work + different EuroCharge map it's now running 385 bhp which is very noticeable. Acid stayed late to get all the work done on the Dyno. Can not fault their service ! One thing I would note is they need to put seat covers in before they move the cars. Bloody filthy mechanics in and out.

Over all the exhaust sounds amazing and is now a real head turner ! Couldn't be happier !

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi All
Well done Olly finally got there , that a large gain from just a Xpipe + remap . Sounds like Acid was on fire to with his customer service .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered no SLK owned
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes but we are knackered after standing around for 5 1/2 hours hahaha !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts