Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this has happened twice to me.

what's going is that when I pull out of gear to neutral, its stays in gear and the engine is raving high. has anyone had this problem??
I have to pull aside the road, and shut down the car and then start the car up again to reset the gear..

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
so this has happened twice to me.

what's going is that when I pull out of gear to neutral, its stays in gear and the engine is raving high. has anyone had this problem??
I have to pull aside the road, and shut down the car and then start the car up again to reset the gear..
How many miles does the car have? Can you look under the car and see any fluid leak near the transmission connector? A good advice to check the transmission fluid level.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Just to add one more note here-Jayson also pointed out to me this morning that the breaklight switch has been updated 2 times since it's original inception. May not be a bad idea to check that as well. I'm going to try to replace mine on lunch today and I'll let you know if it worked.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just to add one more note here-Jayson also pointed out to me this morning that the breaklight switch has been updated 2 times since it's original inception. May not be a bad idea to check that as well. I'm going to try to replace mine on lunch today and I'll let you know if it worked.
Good point slk320chick! Here's the latest part number: A 001 545 95 09

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have narrowed it down. so when I am in 2nd gear and ready to shift to 3rd gear as soon as it goes into neutral it stays in 2nd gear. I have to pull up on the stick to pull out of gear. any ideas...

·
Registered
287 Posts
You did not say whether you have an auto or a stick. by the responses it would seem that it is thought that you have an auto, is this correct? if so does the tranny function properly when you are not shifting manually?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ok, since manual, it is probably the linkage from shift lever to tranny. Could be loose and need adjustment, jammed with road debris, or worn. I would bet on loose.
So I have narrowed it down. so when I am in 2nd gear and ready to shift to 3rd gear as soon as it goes into neutral it stays in 2nd gear. I have to pull up on the stick to pull out of gear. any ideas...
I'd agree with CarolinaBluetec. Check the linkages from underneath the car. I used to own a 1992 VW Golf III with manual. And once I was driving home just a mile away, and heard a loud click and smth fell off... My shifter started wobbling everywhere and I couldn't change any gear! :biglaugh: Luckily for me it stuck in 3rd gear. So I managed to get home on the 3rd gear with the help of clutch :D
After inspecting it turned out that the gear shift lever had a rubber bushing and it got cracked due to age and fell apart. I managed to find a replacement and voila - my shifter was so smooth. I even didn't think it was so smooth before it happened =)) Maybe MB has some similar sort of bushing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that's better then a bad transmission. Do you know if there's a diy to fix that problem. . or how much to expect to be charged on the repairs. ..

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ok that's better then a bad transmission. Do you know if there's a diy to fix that problem. . or how much to expect to be charged on the repairs. ..
Sorry, can't tell you... I have an automatic. Can you put your car on ramps and get underneath it to see what's going on underneath and if you can actually see anything.
If not, then you should look for a good indy in your area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so I narrowed it down, took it to a buddy's shop, and he said that's a syncro issues, bad tranny. needs to be rebuilt. :/ it has really low miles. 71k kinda disappointed with Mercedes... :/

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
The question I have now is why is it Mercedes fault that there's a bad tranny in that car unless it was original to you there's no way to know what the previous owner did...no?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
so I narrowed it down, took it to a buddy's shop, and he said that's a syncro issues, bad tranny. needs to be rebuilt. :/ it has really low miles. 71k kinda disappointed with Mercedes... :/
Seems like previous owner did drive it tough... MBs hit millions of miles. I agree with chicky - it was simply abused... =(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE STATUS: so I finally got my car back on Friday, the reason why it stayed in gear is because the bushings were bad on the shift linkage (I replaced all 6 bushing), I also replace the motor mounts, and now she runs very nice!! happy to get my car back up and running.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Glad you got it sorted!!

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
UPDATE STATUS: so I finally got my car back on Friday, the reason why it stayed in gear is because the bushings were bad on the shift linkage (I replaced all 6 bushing), I also replace the motor mounts, and now she runs very nice!! happy to get my car back up and running.
May I ask [ballpark] what that ran you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.