Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine is looking to buy a diesel slk , whilst talking to a mechanic friend of his the subject of reliability came up , mechanic friend was very vocal and in his opinion 172s suffer problems with various things including roof problems. I've done a search and can't find any compliants .
Has anyone had any trouble with these cars ? Are there any known weak spots ?
I suspect the mechanic is just full of crap but I thought I'd ask just in case .
Thanks
Paul

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
There do seem to be some niggling little issues, heating and ventilation, electrical gremlins, don't buy a red one obviously. The fundamental mechanicals are sound, it seems to be the supporting components that fail at the 3-4 year old point. I've not heard of any roof issues except the person who posted over the weekend about his maladjusted roof which was rubbing the paint off the roof supports while folded.

I think your mechanic friend has the R172 mixed up with the Peugeot 206. That was SHOCKING. And the roof reliability was poor too!

Just make sure your friend gets one with a decent warranty and he'll be fine.

·
Registered 2013 SL63
556 Posts
Can't think of any significant problems apart from red paint which should be avoided like the plague. Not aware of widespread roof issues with the 172. Perhaps the mechanic is thinking of the 170 series which had more than their fair share.
There are lots of poverty spec ex-lease cars around but try and buy a well equipped car - airscarf, Comand, parktronic etc. Even if you don't really want or need them it will make it much easier to sell on.
Don't forget, for a trade purchase, you have 30 days to return the car for a full refund if a fault develops and the dealer is also responsible for fixing any problems in the first six months regardless of any warranty offered.
Russ

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
187 Posts
A good friend of mine is looking to buy a diesel slk , whilst talking to a mechanic friend of his the subject of reliability came up , mechanic friend was very vocal and in his opinion 172s suffer problems with various things including roof problems. I've done a search and can't find any compliants .
Has anyone had any trouble with these cars ? Are there any known weak spots ?
I suspect the mechanic is just full of crap but I thought I'd ask just in case .
Thanks
Paul
I had a leaking roof on my 12 plate which was 2 years old when I bought it, but it was fixed eventually by one of the bigger MB Dealers within Inchcape MB here in the UK, no problems since; other than that no issues at all

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '12 had the composite roof and developed stress cracks after the warranty had expired. But MB covered it anyway. Had to open a case and get it escalated to a customer advocacy rep, but once they had the case and I took it to the dealer for inspection, they didn't hesitate to replace it with a glass one at no cost. I've read other threads about stress cracks on the composite. That and the leak issue is why they moved to glass in '13.

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
579 Posts
it's pretty good car. reliable <--- so far didn't call tow truck, plus it comes with lifetime road side assistant.

it's fun car to go on road trip too. it's not SUV comfortable but you get there with style so, :)

Suggestion:

just make sure pay attention on little noise and vibration if you are getting used one or even certified.

Our R172(SLK 350) was certified pre-owned with 7000mile on it and it had some few issues that had to be taken care of. (thank god it had warranty.) noise and vibration was minor but it end up being major part that they had to replace... (exhaust manifold, speakers etc...)

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 cdi
95 Posts
There was a problem with roof leaks, there's a few threads about it. Cars with composite roof suffered from it but I believe it was fixed by glass roof on later models.
Hello Penelopepitstop,

You and I seem to have similar cars, 250 cdi 2012. I'm scared stiff of these composite roof problems, especially being in the very hot climate in Malta, bordering on the 40c in summer. Is there a high rate of composite roof damage that you know of , or is it a small percentage? I am aware that roofs have been changed to glazing or polycarbonate since March 2013, but due to our strong sunshine I would have always opted for a solid roof. And do you know what material the solid roofs are made of maybe there is some kind of prevention to the problem of warping that some people on here mention ?
Thank you.

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
I had a leaking roof on my 12 plate which was 2 years old when I bought it, but it was fixed eventually by one of the bigger MB Dealers within Inchcape MB here in the UK, no problems since; other than that no issues at all
I have had a roof leak, silicone creased the roof seal between the roof and window screen. We have had Torrential rain over the last few days and not a drop came in my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.