Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a member please tell me where the relay for the wider motor is located in my car, and which one it is?
I have checked the fuses, they are ok, but the blades are stuck firmly in the centre of the screen, and refuse to budge, I realise the motor may be the issue but need to check this first I think.

SLK r170 230 year 2000.
Dave T

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,223 Posts
The relay is, I think, in the multi-function control unit.

I'll see if I can get the wiring and diagnostics sheet for you.

Reactions: Dave T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiper motor relay

Thanks Jeff,
I have seen this list but the wiper motor relay is not there,
Dave T

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts

·
3,223 Posts
I've prepped a PDF with wiring / diagnostics and here is a picture of the internals of the Multi-Function Control Module. It shows three relays, one of which is the flasher relay, so let me know when you find the wiper relay and I'll update the picture.

N10-3 MFCM.jpg

Suggest you try cleaning the contacts and checking solder joints around the relay. Also see if the relay contacts are free to move and are not held shut by corrosion / carbon deposits.

Reactions: Dave T and jbanks15

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Savcom
Thanks for the info.but exactly where on the car is the multi function unit?
Dave T

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,147 Posts
The MFCU is in the black box under the hood; the wiper relay is the one closest to the edge of the board (at least on the sample I have).

·
3,223 Posts
The MFCU is in the black box under the hood; the wiper relay is the one closest to the edge of the board (at least on the sample I have).
Thanks @efair. I was going to point him at the R170 encyclopedia and say to go to Component Locations and to look through the list for N10/3 - Control Module Meanwhile I'll update that photo and we can all benefit.

Reactions: Dave T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved....

Well it wasn't the fuse, nor the relay (when I eventually found it) nor the switch or the control unit or motor but the seized spindles that had caused the wipers to grind, literally to a halt.
Thanks to a duff replacement bought on ebay(and returned) the job took longer than I had hoped even by my standards.
The solution was to press out the spindles and clean up and grease the bearings and it should be good for a few more years.

Total cost £1.50 (includingVAT) for the replacement washer hose connector from the local Merc agents, which I broke removing the cover,
a bad back from leaning over and a smug satisfaction in sorting the bugger out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.