Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can understand the confusion about the recommended tire pressures.

On all prior cars, I've always used the recommended cold pressures on the packard on the driver's side door panel. Now on my new 2012, the inside of the gas cap also has recommended pressures but it has two options: normal load, and max load.

It so happens the pressures on door placard are the same as the max load on the gas cap. So which which should I use? The max load pressures (which are the same on the gas cap and door placard), the the normal load pressures on the gas cap (the normal pressures are lower).

No idea why they would create this confusion. This is an SLK Roadster, which most of the time will only have one person in it.

Help! Thanks.....

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I would inflate it to normal load unless you have lots of stuff packed in the rear (e.g., traveling). Check the plaque on the driver-side door jamb. Mine (R171) states combined weight of driver and passenger should not exceed 525 lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that input. Yes when 90% of the time there is only 1 person in the car; and you are right, the probability of me loading 300 lbs of gold bars in that small trunk, well, seems stupid to have two different tire recommendations. The difference between the 2 recommendations is fairly significant. I will probably go with the "normal" but add a couple extra lbs, which I tend to do anyway....

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
during my many years of motoring we were always taught to inflate a bit more for long distance faster driving. Not sure if that has any validity especially with modern tyres. I keep mine at the normal pressure all the time.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Under inflated tend to over heat tires may be due to air space not filled. Over inflated subjected to wear and tear much faster. But having a couple of psi over and inder will not make much different. Get digital tire gauge and not rely on dealers station.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I always check my pressures,. manually. I plan on inflating them a couple pounds over the "normal" load recommendation on the gas panel. That is lower than tha "full load" pressures on the gas cap and door placard. I think I'll be good with that. Btw......I love my SLK350. Best car I've ever had....

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Jon, glad to hear your pop out guage still working consistently.
The tube it fits in is dented and tatty but the guage is great. I have a digital one that is erratic and untrustworthy. The dial guage on my compressor tank is accurate but Its too much trouble to drag it out to the car just to check the pressures.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Keep a careful eye on tyre wear, a tread depth guage is just as handy as a tyre pressure guage. Ideally the tread should be the same depth across the tyre. In practice it doesn't always work out like that. It's not unusual for SLK rears to wear a bit quicker on the inside due to a fair bit of negative camber in the back end. On our car the fronts were very even and the rears were not too bad last times they were changed.

Classically, if the tyre is over-inflated, the centre tread area will wear more quickly that the outer areas. The other way around if under-inflated.

If you keep a log of pressures and tread wear, you should home in on the right pressure for you and your tyres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.