Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please help me. I tried to glue my door panels but failed. I used 100% silicone (in a tube) like I was told to use by a auto restoration company. 1st: I had a difficult time of it trying to remove the existing MB glue and prepping the pieces to be glued. what is a good solvent for do use?
2: My silicone set up so quickly. Do I need to glue the pieces and just let them sit for a couple hours before reinstalling. I had a devil of a time trying to reattach the panel to the door without having the newly glued pieces completely detaching from each other.
Any thoughts on all of this will be most appreciated.
Best,
Roger

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
38 Posts
Gorilla Super Glue?

Hi Roger,

My front middle panel was seperating at the front near the door hinge. It would visibly flap when you opened the passenger door. I used Gorilla Super Glue to glue the detached panel leather fabric back to the door leather fabric. I first tried gluing the detached backing foam to the door backing foam and it was like I wasn't using any glue at all. Going leather edge to leather edge seems to be doing the trick, though they are small 1/8-1/4" edges to deal with. I did this without removing the panel; no ned since the middle pad was the only issue. This has held for about 4 weeks with no signs of fatigue or loosening.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.