Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320/2001 SLK320
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone has removed the black backing/surround for the UK registration plates.

What does it look like and does it work?

Any pics?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts
Sorry it appears that I don't have sufficient privileges to upload an image yet
you can upload

are you on a phone?

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,303 Posts

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moving on with this, I have removed the black registration mount and think the bumper looks WAY better without it. Has anyone done this and stuck an adhesive sticker registration plate to the bumper?

·
96,480 Posts
nothing like that would even be close to legal in USA
Like having a lost plate and writing on a piece of cardboard

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought you only needed a rear registration plate in the US?!

·
96,480 Posts
I thought you only needed a rear registration plate in the US?!

depends on the state
florida rear
california front and rear as examples

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,224 Posts
Assuming that was not rhetorical, different states have different requirements/legislation. Same as in Canadian provinces. It is not
a federal area of responsibility.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230K
65 Posts
According to the Transport Department here in Queensland, Australia. You must have both a front and rear licence plate.
I have seen 2 or 3 ferrari's with stickers as the front licence plate but when I asked about it for Baby (didn't want to drill holes in the front bar) I was told unequivocally that sticker front licence plates are not available. I ended up making a couple of alloy "L" pieces that bolt to the front bar under the air dam lip, and then bolted the front plate to this. Plate sits about 15mm-20mm away from the front of the front bar.

Before I put the new bodykit on her, I did remove then licence plate backing as our licence plates in Aus aren't as wide as the UK ones. Overall it tidied up the look of the front of the car. I'd do it again if I still had stock bars.

Cheers
Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts