Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aftermarket alloy wheels that the PO fitted are a mess and had clearly been stored overwinter without having been cleaned. The clearcoat has gone in many places and there is pitting. The spokes are fine and it is just the flat rims that need work with wet and dry. It would be easiest to spin the wheel of course and just hold a pad against it. How safe is it to say, jack up one rear wheel and run the engine in drive?

·
Registered
86 Posts
How safe is it to say, jack up one rear wheel and run the engine in drive?
That could easily be an invitation to disaster.

Both rears safely off the ground, SAFELY, is a possibility but one could damage or lock up the differential - Especially if your vehicle has stability control.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,738 Posts
plus the abs light will come on after back on the ground and you will have to drive the car a bit until the system realizes things are ok again :D

·
Super Moderator
24,115 Posts
High risk.
Damage to wheel, self, car & others.

If you really must do it yourself:
Jack, block and support both sides.
Invest in good kit to perform the job and let the kit do the rotation, not the wheel.

Out of interest, price a pro job.

Even experienced mechanics have had things go wrong.
One of our own members was brave enough to document his mishap.

https://www.slkworld.com/off-topic/545334-i-am-dumbo-warning-others.html

I'm sure @Dave2302 could add more about the hazards of running engine, in drive and raised vehicles.

Just don't do it, please.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I promise I won't do it. It's why I asked and I really do appreciate everyone's comments!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts