Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Refreshing Key Fob on R170 Keys

12K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  slktony 
#1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fold...Accessories&hash=item255fad3b06#ht_2660wt_972

I just ordered the above item from eBay. My key fob was really messed up. The buttons were worn out smooth, the plastic casing was chipped and dinged over the years. Dealer wanted $180 for ordering a new key (with a $50 off sale), but I decided to go for this as the electronics in my key were still fine, I just needed a new shell.

For $19 it seems much better than $180 for a brand new key, and will feel like it as well.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is in the same boat as me. Your car looks good, your old key needs to look the part as well!

Jae

#5 ·
I played with the original key at the office today. With the help of a thread on the Crossfire forums (they use the same key) on how to take it apart and reassemble, it was pretty easy.

The shell comes apart stubbornly at first, since it is sort of "glued" together with some epoxy in the seams. Once apart, it is easy to swap the guts over from one to another. There is only one circuitboard, and only one way it can fit into the bottom shell. The tricky part is the key spring, which gives resistance as you retract the key into the fob. Getting the spring to sit in the correct position before you snap the top piece back on was the hardest part, but overall it wasn't all that difficult.

Now my key looks brand new, I even cleaned the metal key itself using some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, looks shiny and new!

I highly recommend this low cost "mod" lol

Here is the thread from the crossfire forums that I found.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...e-apart-key-fob-without-destroying.html#links

FYI: for the thread above, the poster's avatar may be just a little on the NSFW side, so be warned.

#7 ·
Just ordered one . . .

When I got my 230 it came with TWO keys! (lucky me) . . . one was well used and the red light was cracked . . . it is now my spare, so I am ordering a replacement fob for it. From the pics on e-bay the replacement does not look like it has the red light but will let you know. The crossfire link has a lot of good info.

#9 ·
Save yourself the time as well as the headache and just buy the key from a Mercedes dealer. I had one key for my car, ordered a cheap Chinese key case from eBay thinking it wouldn't be a problem. When I received the key case I jumped back on this forum and followed the directions, used the right tools, and found that the original key blade does not fit the Chinese key case as well as the original. After putting all the parts together, and pairing the transmitter, my car did not start. If I had just gone to the Mercedes dealer, spent $150 for a new key, I would have two keys and I would have saved $6. Don't put Chinese parts on your mb! I learned by not having my car for a weekend!

#10 ·
Consciousness,

fyi, that thread is 3 years old.

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Then don’t be shy, we don’t bite. We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

#11 ·
just a little nudge.

while all this chat is talking about the remote side of things could i just remind every one to use their key in the drivers door and boot (trunk ) with a squirt of WD40 to stop the locks seizing up and not turning when the remote system fails for whatever reason.
takes 2 minutes every 6 months but could save an enormous amount when manual unlocking is required.
not just your SLK either, do all your cars!

#13 ·
My MB Dealer charged me 140.00 for a new key and bob also 30.00 for a master key for valet key....

jnc1948 NC USA
My main dealer just quoted me £250 for a replacement key. I have to drive there, One and a Half hour drive, they do all the usual security checks, then I have to go home and wait at least 5 days for them to order it from Germany, then go back so they can pair it to my car.
All this because my key fob is looking horrible.
I think I will start using the not so bad spare key... :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.