Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this qualifies as a sighting?

I was driving the dawg today and about 3 miles from my house, I caught a flash on the right side of the road, sitting there in a small "buy here pay here" car lot was the car! I don't see any SLK's in my area, so, on my way back from running around, I stopped by the lot. The car looked familiar, so I checked it out really well, sure enough, I almost bought the car when I was looking for an R171. The sales guy came out of the building and we started talking about it, he's got it there kind of consignment. The guy who owns the car and the lot owner are friends and the owner parks it there as an eye catcher for the lot, the lot owner will sell it for the owner if he gets a buyer.

I went over the car with the lot owner and showed him the in's and outs of the car. It actually runs well, but it had a salvage title on it where it got totaled for roof damage by it's insurance company. That didn't make me shy away from the car initially, but little things with it did. The roof evidently didn't get fixed totally correct, when I cycled the roof a couple of times to show him how it worked, once it didn't line up correctly on the left side with the windshield and left a gap. I backed it off slightly and went forward with it again, and it seated okay. But it still makes a louder than normal "thunk" when it closes which I noticed when I was looking at it about 4 months ago. It also has a really checkered maintenance past. The original price was $18,500, when I found out the history and about the salvage title, I had offered $14K and up to $15K if he fixed everything I found. Little things kept popping up though and I just dropped my interest in it. It's now on the lot for $16K with 57K miles on it. Not a bad looking car, but a Mercedes SLK owner will never buy it, not with everything about it. It was kind of like running into an old girlfriend, I was wondering what ever happened to that car? I really did like the color.

That was the first SLK besides my own, that I've seen in about 4 months or so. You just don't see them around here often at all.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Not exactly the season for sightings either...

The red one sounds like a "Black Beauty" story... When I was shopping for ours, iridium with a red interior, I found one in NJ. 07 but with 40k miles...decent price at 20k...but I figured it had been winter driven and NJ isn't known for good weather or smooth roads, so I shied away.

Found ours in OK...great price, low miles, happy. A year later a guy from town (Ottawa) calls up and says he's about to go look at a car I had looked at. Well, the only SLK I had actually seen was at a dealer here - all the rest were online. He shied away for the same reason. We found him another in MI within a week.

Well Fred (a member here) bought it!

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good story. The SLk I saw today, I had driven at the owner's residence about 15 miles away from the dealer I saw it at today. So I guess considering how rare they are around here, I guess my odds were pretty good.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,248 Posts
Just back from a weekend trip to Glasgow / Kilmarnock. I saw a beautiful white SL :le: in Glasgow (sorry Mabel!), but in a 450 mile round trip I didn't see one SLK. They must all be hibernating or have headed south! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts