Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SLC300
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations of cleaning products available here in the UK. I'd like to keep my SLC looking as good as possible, and figured you lovely people on this forum will be able to recommend the products that work best for you.

It is a 2017 SLC - don't know if the materials on the dash, wheels etc. vary that much, but, just in case thought I would mention it :)

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,304 Posts
A lot of us use Meguiars products. Home - Meguiar's
There have been a few trips to their centre.

They also have a lot of short clips on how to use on the website.

Halfords sometimes do a 3 for 2 on them and you can find them on their ebay shop too.

For best results start with a deep clean wash and follow with clay bar (the mit is good).
Then build from that.
then, for a long time, you can get away with quick detailer and ordinary 2 bucket wash.

Don't skimp on microfibre cloths.
Quality product + cheap cloth defeats the object.

Wheel wax helps keep off brake dust and makes follow up cleaning easier
(I hear Russ shouting 'Wheel Woolies' in the distance).

@55russamg is one of our expert detailers.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,895 Posts
Had to look up wheel woolies. Similar to other wheel detailing brushes. I got one BUT the problem I found (and rarely use it now) is the knob at the business end won't allow the brush past the calipers--or there's just not enough room. A real PITA so I went back to an old wash mit so I don't need to get past the calipers.

Reactions: Lianne

·
Registered 2017 SLC300
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your comments will have a look at those products. The car had StarGuard applied before I picked it up, so I am hoping that helps a little.

What do people use to clean the display monitor - it probably has a different name, the bit that shows the sat nav etc.

·
Registered 2017 SLC300
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for what to wipe the rubber seals with? The seal is quite dusty that goes across where the boot is (nearest to the rear window).

·
13,895 Posts
search for gummi
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for what to wipe the rubber seals with? The seal is quite dusty that goes across where the boot is (nearest to the rear window).

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,304 Posts
Comand screen etc, I use a lightly dampened microfibre cloth.
Never use solvents nor anything aggressive on these, they scratch far to easily.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,314 Posts
This:
is what I used on the central and binnacle display screens when I first got my SLK three years ago.It removed all the finger marks and smudges where, I assume, folk had thought it a touch screen. Haven't needed to use it since.
Do be aware that your screen could have previously been cleaned with a more aggressive liquid and, if that is the case, the factory applied anti-glare coating may have been compromised.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,521 Posts
gummi of course

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
4,178 Posts
Have a look on you tube, there’s a lot of detaing videos and comparisons of products.
Just one thing, don’t buy cheap products and keep all your buckets, wash mits, wheel wellies etc in good clean condition and you should be ok.
Amazon is a good place to buy the products that you decide on and you can top up as you run low and have it delivered to your door.
Plan to spend a good hour so more for a good maintenance wash and dry.
I use a lot of different products depending on what type of detail I am doing but I can recommend some products for weekly washing if you need advice.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,373 Posts
Here are some cleaning tips check out there site you can contact them if you have questions I don,t know if they sell there products maybe a UK Member has some answers.

·
Registered 2017 SLC300
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a look on you tube, there’s a lot of detaing videos and comparisons of products.
Just one thing, don’t buy cheap products and keep all your buckets, wash mits, wheel wellies etc in good clean condition and you should be ok.
Amazon is a good place to buy the products that you decide on and you can top up as you run low and have it delivered to your door.
Plan to spend a good hour so more for a good maintenance wash and dry.
I use a lot of different products depending on what type of detail I am doing but I can recommend some products for weekly washing if you need advice.
That would be excellent if you can please.

·
13,895 Posts
Ahh... it is called a comand screen :LOL: Thank you, now I can use the proper terminology :)
nope. It's "comand"--one m ?. I fixed for you (y)

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Wheel Woolies come as a set of 3 brushes, large one is very big, medium is a nice size and a baby one. They are not cheap but have a nylon central rod, not steel like the cheap ones.
Britemax products are nice, I do like the wash stuff Pure max. Also the rubber gel stuff.
I use Autoglym Super Resin polish for smaller areas and Maguires Ultimate polish on the rest of the car. Also Scholl S20 once to machine polish the car completely.
Maguires Gold Class and also their Carnauba wax, but be careful on black rubber areas as it will dry white but does give a nice shine.
I use MER wheel wax, seems to work fairly well.
Britemax Spray and Shine (5 litres) for after you have washed your car.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
4,178 Posts
That would be excellent if you can please.
Ok, for wheels I use dragons breath wheel cleaner sprayed onto the wheels and left for 5 mins. Then give them a good clean using wheel woolies to get to the insides and a soft wheel brush for the spokes. Use these after dipping them in a bucket of autoglym shampoo.
Give a 4 a good clean then rinse with jet wash on low pressure.
Give the wheel wells a good rinse with the jet wash too.
For the body, I give it a good jet wash on low pressure then use autoglym polar blast snow foam and cover the car. Let it soak for 5 to 10 mins then rinse.
Wash with autoglym shampoo with a dash of snow foam in a bucket with a grit guard in the bottom and apply with a woolly wash mit. Use another bucket with fresh water in to rinse off the mit and get fresh soap from the shampoo bucket. Ps. Use an old wash mit to give the wheels another go over at the same time.
Rinse again with then apply maguiers ceramic wax spray and use jet wash to spread over the car.
Dry with a good drying towel - don’t forget to dry door jams etc.
Apply maguiers tyre gel and wipe off.
That should be enough to keep the car in good condition in between a pre and post winter detail which involves decontamination, clay bars, machine polish and bilt hamber wax but that’s another posts worth.
I hope it helps?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts