Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't find answer specifically for UK peeps.

Can anybody recommend a car cover for the SLK? And I'm on a budget here!

There are very many on eBay for 30 to 50 pounds, hard to tell if they're any good or not... not after anything flash, just functional.

This is for external use, for over-wintering the car. Does it need to be a fitted one, or will anything close do the job? Does it need to be lined in some way to prevent damage?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Paul

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Paul,

are you keeping your car in a garage, or outside. Personally, if you're keeping it outside, I wouldn't use a cover - too much wind abrasion of the paintwork by the cover.

If you're keeping it inside, then I would use a cover - to keep the dust off. In my garage, I cover the sheepsmobile with a cheapy waffle-weave grey viscose fitted cover - it's not waterproof, but my garage is reasonably so. Cost under £15 from Makro :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Paul,

are you keeping your car in a garage, or outside. Personally, if you're keeping it outside, I wouldn't use a cover - too much wind abrasion of the paintwork by the wind:)
Couldn't agree more, unless you can get the car out of the wind don't bother with a cover, it will scuff your paint as it moves around and gets dust under it in the contact points. I covered my old Classic Saab 900 whilst away for a few months big mistake! Spent days polishing out the scratches.

Lots of wax and Gummi Pfledge. Also put Silica gel pouches in the car interior and boot you can buy really big ones from caravan centres.

Why don't you drive it through the winter?

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those comments, I hadn't really thought you could do more harm than good...

it will be outside unfortunately, though in a relatively sheltered spot... but we're near the cost and when it gets windy, it gets really windy...

re why it won't be driven in the winter... well... I've only had it a couple of months, I'm planning on taking it off the road for the winter for financial reasons, but I'm getting so much fun out of it I'm doubting I'll be able to contemplate not having it to drive when the time comes...

maybe I need a cover just so I can't actually see it... sitting there saying "drive me, drive me now!"

:)

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Woolly's right again, as usual. I've had several car covers in the past with good intentions. On and off is a hassle and before long, they get very little use. Your intentions are good, but save your money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a cover not tailored but advertised for a SLK170 with elasticated skirts and it seemed good fit until this weekend the wind got underneath and blew it off. It cost about £25. You can buy them tailored with covered straps that go under the car and hold the cover more secure but they cost around £100 plus.

After reading the comments above I don't think i will buy another one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.