Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. I recently purchased a 2000 SLK230 and have a couple of questions.

In the morning, it seems that my choke system is sometimes not working or malfunctioning in some way. When I start it, it sometimes does not go on high idle, but stumbles at a low RPM and tapping the accelerator doesn't seem to help. RPMs gradually improve over about a minute's time and then seems to run okay. The car did not come with an owner's manual, so I'm uncertain if I'm using the correct start procedure; when first turning the key, I do not touch the accelerator whatsoever but merely turn the key and start the engine. It starts and goes to high idle for a few seconds before settling down and then I wait until the engine heats up a little before driving away.

The second question I have is that when the engine is passing through about 1600-1800 RPM or so, there is a extremely brief but prominent growling/vibration sound that seems to only be present at that certain RPM point. If the gas pedal is feathered around that RPM level, you can get the noise to occur regularly as it passes above and then back below the exact RPM point where it occurs. It's almost like a pulley or something is vibrating at a certain RPM but I can't locate the source. Is this common and if not, where do I look for the possible problem?

thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,412 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not sure about the idling issue, but the "growling" issue might possibly be motor mounts or transmission mounts. That's where I'd start my investigation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.