Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
headlight wires damaged

Good morning all, I have badly damaged headlight wires that comes off the harness, they all dried , and the covers are all broken, do I go to the dealer, or are there aftermarket companies they sell them, I looked on ebay, what I saw had different color coating, if any of you used this can you suggest where to go please?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good morning all, the wires that feed the headlights looks very sad all the vinyl covering is dried out and cracked, since this part is not available from the dealer, (unless I buy the whole assembly) I decided to cover them with electrical tape, my concern is the heat that the halogen bulb generates, has anyone done this?, I tried to buy aftermarket connectors, but I dont know how they work. any suggestions? thank you and have a nice day all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
good morning all, the wires that feed the headlights looks very sad all the vinyl covering is dried out and cracked, since this part is not available from the dealer, (unless I buy the whole assembly) I decided to cover them with electrical tape, my concern is the heat that the halogen bulb generates, has anyone done this?, I tried to buy aftermarket connectors, but I dont know how they work. any suggestions? thank you and have a nice day all.
Repairing worn (UV, ozon, chemicals, old age...) cables is not complicated, but you need the proper tools. Electric insulation tape may save the day, but will give problems in the long run, if the actual cable is broken. It deteriorates even quicker.

My recommendation is to use new cable, proper crimp splices and a pro crimping tool. There are cheap kits available, they work, sort of, but proper tools is easier.

Renew any wire part with bad insulation (cut & paste) but make sure you still can follow the color coding in both ends of your repair. You don't have to cut out more cable than what is damaged, as long as the wire strands are bright copper (or bright tin). If copper wire is black(ish), i'ts oxidised and impossible to splice reliably. (Can be removed with strong acids, don't try that at home...).

Crimps that have hot melt glue and heatcrimp covers work well, the get waterproof and neat if you heat them properly.

See

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wiring

Repairing worn (UV, ozon, chemicals, old age...) cables is not complicated, but you need the proper tools. Electric insulation tape may save the day, but will give problems in the long run, if the actual cable is broken. It deteriorats even quicker.

My recommendation is to use new cable, proper crimp splices and a pro crimping tool. There are cheap kits available, they work, sort of, but proper tools is easier.

Renew any wire part with bad insulation (cut & paste) but make sure you still can follow the color coding in both ends of your repair. You don't have to cut out more cable than what is damaged, as long as the wire strands are bright copper (or bright tin). If cupper wire is black(ish), i'ts oxidised and impossible to splice reliably. (Can be removed with strong acids, don't try that at home...).

Crimps that have hot melt glue and heatcrimp covers work well, the get waterproof and neat if you heat them properly.

See
this is why I asked the group, I agree with you, my other question would be; has anyone bought aftermarket socket and wires that replaces ours? and thank you for your suggestion

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
electric tape

I have had very good luck repairing ABS sensor cables with marine liquid electrical tape. The coating really works and a lot better than cutting and crimping (anything important I usually solder). Available in black, red, green, and white.
Thank you for your suggestion, I would prefer soldering myself, where do I buy marin liquid tapes?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have had very good luck repairing ABS sensor cables with marine liquid electrical tape. The coating really works and a lot better than cutting and crimping (anything important I usually solder). Available in black, red, green, and white.
This is a Good Product - I use it (or, rather, it¨s locally available cousin) to paint electric connectors and contacts open to the elements in my boat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
marine liquid tape

This is a Good Product - I use it (or, rather, it¨s locally available cousin) to paint electric connectors and contacts open to the elements in my boat.
Thank you very much for the info, I just ordered four colors, this forum rocks. cheers

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thank you very much for the info, I just ordered four colors, this forum rocks. cheers
Kudos to Padgett, who actually pointed out that it can work as a "naked wire repair".

( I still advocate proper crimping as a repair for broken wires, but soldering is a time honored way to do it as well. But modern thinking points out that the hard solder line in the cable will be stiff and break and that properly crimped splices are better in the long run.)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
solder

Kudos to Padgett, who actually pointed out that it can work as a "naked wire repair".

( I still advocate proper crimping as a repair for broken wires, but soldering is a time honored way to do it as well. But modern thinking points out that the hard solder line in the cable will be stiff and break and that properly crimped splices are better in the long run.)
I agree with you also, luckily I have no broken wires, the only thing I have to redo is the insulation which is dried and cracked, I thin Liquide marine tape idea is very good.

·
Registered
303 Posts
headlight wires damaged

Since there are only a hand full of different headlight bulbs and hundreds of different cars using them, any fix ‘er up kit is going to have the wrong colours. This isn’t going to stop the kit fixing your car!
If you want authentic wiring then buy a new loom from MB or get an auto electrician to do a match up.
MB experimented with environmentaly friendly insulation but durability was the let down.
Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts