Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I posted - sorry I've been a stranger.

A month or so ago I started seeing this wear on the passanger side of the rear window and it has now gotten pretty bad. It definitely has something to do with the plastic piece rubbing on something inside the trunk when the top is down but I wasn't able to determine specifically where.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there an adjustment which can be made to stop the wearing? It looks like I'm going to have to replace the piece too at some point - which looks like it might be a chore. Any experience with this task?

Attachments

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,564 Posts
I have some scratches on the bottom edge. I have ignored it so far but i would be very interested in the changing option at some point.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
These are not scratches and not caused by rubbing. This plastic trim piece is actually suspended in the inverted position when it is stored in the trunk/boot after the roof is retracted.

MB calls it de-lamination and is a common occurence over time in the SLK as well as the SL's. Replacement is not easy and I've read the procedure many times, and it also needs some new butyl strip, lots of lubricant and skill (chance of leak if not done correctly). There's also the need to make sure the alignment of the rubber seal is correct as it abuts the black trim piece. Without the special tool to hold the roof at 75 degrees, it cannot be done (talked to the technician). Mine has been replaced 2x (left and right) under warranty and each time (as related by the master technician, who is really meticulous) the trim had to be removed, breaking the tabs on the piece and a second new piece has to be used (glad it was done under warranty).

Out-of-warranty, other members have applied 3M Di-Noc with good results. Another member has prepped the black plastic piece, masked and applied clear gloss paint on the same with good results (Do a search).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Eddy. I could have sworn it must be rubbing but you're right - the way it hangs upside down had me confused. I was thinking it must have been hitting a piece of plastic or something.

I'll have to see how the extended warranty people handle this one :)

Good to hear from you - I hope all is well out West.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Thanks for the info Eddy. I could have sworn it must be rubbing but you're right - the way it hangs upside down had me confused. I was thinking it must have been hitting a piece of plastic or something.

I'll have to see how the extended warranty people handle this one :)

Good to hear from you - I hope all is well out West.
MB calls it a decorative trim piece and as such some extended warranty may consider this a "cosmetic" piece. No harm in asking/checking, although I would label the piece as upper C-pillar cover as described in MB service manual CD, and avoid any reference to words as "decorative" or "trim".

All is well on the west coast -- no rain, partly cloudy early morning, sunshine, mid- to low-70's, and lower 60's at night, sunset at 8 pm (Pacific DST), top-down weather day and night :rb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.