Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for one of those wind screens that go behind the roll bars,, and was shocked by the price of them. :eek:
Any one know where I can get one cheap?
Tia,
G

Reactions: Windrestrictor

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
376 Posts
Define cheap.

If you are looking for the mesh that originally comes with the car, you can probably get those real cheap from one of us who has upgraded to the plexiglass.

If you want plexiglass, Windrestrictor is on this site and a lot of people are happy with theirs. I think if you check around on this site, they give a discount to forum members.

If you want OEM, place a call to other MB dealers that aren't too far away. When I got mine, the dealer was happy to clear it out of inventory and gave me a better price than I was seeing elsewhere.

I personally would stay with Windrestrictor or OEM. The others I've seen may be cheaper, but look it too.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
+1 for WindRestrictor... they're not what I would define as cheap, but I would say they're great value for money! :tu:

There are cheaper, velcro mounted, plexiglass options on eBay and the like, but I'm not a fan of the way you can see the Velcro that mounts them..

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
Gordon, you cannot have oem plexi because you do not have a R171
so other than Windrestrictor and the 5% member discount, you are limited to the other plexiglas on ebay (blah), not lighted or etched btw

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was looking for one of those wind screens that go behind the roll bars,, and was shocked by the price of them. :eek:
Any one know where I can get one cheap?
Tia,
G
I ordered but have not yet put on a windscreen I bought off of Ebay by a man in the US. It arrived but I am having some interior work done on the peeling paint and with the bad weather this week I am delayed in installing it. No straps are necessary and I agree I don't like the look of the ones with the strap and I didn't like the ideal of drilling any holes so I researched and found this guy and the
reason I got this windscreen is 1. it can stay on with the roof up or down, 2. its clear so it doesn't block my vision and 3. it was affordable. No etching or lighting but you can add the MB logo if you pay a little more. You can google him and right now he does have a listing under eBay if you look under g12121947 his name is:

JAY SENOFF WINDSCREEN

I don't think he is a member here but may have been in the passed.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I was looking at the screen from Jay, my wife says she doesn't need it.
The whole idea of having one was so the wife wouldn't get her hair messed up while the top was down. Now she says don't bother.
Go figure.
G

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
249 Posts
Getting an etched windscreen is on my mod list of things to do in the near future. I can't decide if the lighting is worth it or not, a lot that I've seen seem to cheapen the look of the car.

Of course I need to install the smart top, new head unit and so on and so forth.... I will plan to blame this site specifically for any possible future financial ruin due to my desire to mod the heck out of my SLK :).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I seem to have looked at the wrong poster when making my comment. Please ignor my previous post in this thread.

I see you have a 170 not a 171 as stated. I bought a wind deflector for my mine from Ebay for £65 delivered. No velcro....screws into the holes where the shopping hooks are and slides over the buttons where the mesh went. Looks real smart for the money.
Mercedes SLK R170 Wind Stop Stopper break breaker Full Perspex 1996 - 2004 | eBay

You never know...they might ship across the pond.

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
Mention my name and pay extra 10%

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,641 Posts
The whole idea of having one was so the wife wouldn't get her hair messed up while the top was down. Now she says don't bother.
Go figure.
G
And NEXT week she might change her mind! A lady's preogative???

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Go figure.
G
Sounds normal.
There is nothing to figure out on this.
:laugh:

She now has justification to go shopping for high-end headgear or bandanas by Hermes or Chanel.

Reactions: Gordosoar

·
*Premium Member
2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,283 Posts
Go figure.
G
Even with the Windrestrictor my hair gets messed up, but I just call it a fashion statement! I purchased one anyway because I loved it!

See you at the meet!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Mention my name and pay extra 10%
First off..This is bull! LOL Sarge is my guy.

Secondly, we're having a sale now where you get 10% with free custom graphics. Use code Spring Forums. I don't really like posting sales stuff outside of the subforum, but felt it was relevant here.

Typing the words "but felt" makes me giggle for some reason. Weird.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds normal.
There is nothing to figure out on this.
:laugh:

She now has justification to go shopping for high-end headgear or bandanas by Hermes or Chanel.
Not my wife,, she's a cheap date. :smile:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I looked at that piece and the Windblox, before ordering my WindRestrictor, and I had several concerns about it. One, it stands too vertical, and was concerned about it creating another vortex of air, that I was trying to eliminate. Two, because of the lack of angle, your seat and head rest will be rubbing against it. In a very short time you will notice with plexiglass that it will get a rub mark, and it will not come out. Three, the Velcro tabs will come off after a period of time because the heat from the sun with the roof down, and the adhesive getting soft. An aerodynamic wind screen will not vibrate, and does not need this added anchor. Fourth, the fact that the description even mentions vibration concerned me about the thickness and rigidity of the product. I have had mine over 100mph with no vibration.
I personally would spend the extra $80 if you are going to keep the car.

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
89 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.