Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, can anyone tell me why I can't get my rear wheel off. I removed the bolts and screwed in the peg to guide the wheel but the wheel will not move. I don't want to knock it too hard because I don't want the jack to shift and drop the car. Is there something I am omitting to remove the wheel? The rear tires are 225/50 R16 92V they are wider than the front ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
It's just stuck. Woolly has the best strategy. Put the lug bolts back on and lower the car. Loosen all five bolts on that wheel one turn or so. Drive the car back and forth a couple of times, braking sharply, and it will break the wheel loose. Then it will come off easily.

Best Wishes

Reactions: Beppi

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
No need to put the peg in as a guide to remove the wheel , it's more for putting it back on .

Sometimes if they haven't been removed in a while you'll need to knock the wheel in varios points either inside or outside to loosen it up .

If you can put some blocks under the car in case the jack fails and then try a few light kicks to the tyres in a few different spots .

Once i had to hit the wheel on the inside with a block of wood and hammer , they were that stuck on !

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
You can put a little anti-seize on the area where the wheel meets the hub to prevent corrosion and sticking. It will make it easier to remove next time. Just don't get any on the lugs or the threaded holes in the hub.

Reactions: Beppi

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

Thanks guys I'll try all what you have suggested, must get them to come off easterly, can you imagine if you get stuck with a flat tire and you can't get the wheel off.
I was about to bleed the brakes and I could not get the wheel off. I will try tomorrow to get the wheels off.

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Job done.

Hi guys, got the wheels off by using a rubber mallet. I hit the inside rim of the wheel and the wheel popped off and held on with the guide peg. The cause was the rim of the hub, which corroded onto the mag of the wheel. I presume this happens because water collects on the rim of the hub when the car is washed, hence the reason why the manual suggests to drive the the car after washing it so the brake pads and I presume the hub can dry out from the heat of the discs when the brakes are applied. I also sanded away the corrosion from the hubs and the mags and applied copper grease before refitting the wheels, careful no to get any grease in the holes where the bolts hold the wheel. I tightened the bolts to 110 newton, is that the correct torque?

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Calliper nipple

Anyone know if it is ok to put grease on the thread of a calliper nipple, will it turn loose.?
Also I bleed my brakes today and the nipples on the front wheels point up, is it ok to leave the brake fluid in the nipple due to them pointing up and just put the rubber cap on or does one have to stick something in the nipple to absorb the excess fluid before putting the rubber cap on? Will the fluid corrode the nipple if it is left in there with the cap on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.