Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
The rear driver side bearing has just started to make some pretty loud grinding noises. I fear that I will have to replace the bearing. Is this a pretty straight forward job?

Can I just get a new spindle/hub and have a shop press the bearing in and then replace the whole original setup? I have not taken it apart yet. I don't have a press at home.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it has never been answered. The process is identical to the 3 series BMW rear bearing replacement. Just did mine last weekend and they came out perfectly. Very, very nice and quiet in the rear now. Huge difference. There doesn't have to be play in the wheels for the bearing to be noisy. Here is a link to a Youtube video that I used for my 318ti and I used the same tools and method for the 1999 SLK230.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKYL9_4mXRI

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2003 SLK230. I can't see any torx bolts for connecting the axle to the differential. Are they hidden by the boot or sleeve? It almost appears as though I will have to remove some of the suspension to get at the bearing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.