Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Can anyone explain to me how to access and remove the rear drainage pipes on the R170. The left pipe is so clogged that no matter what I do I cannot clear it. Can I access them through the boot, or through the rear wheel wells?
Thank for the advice in advance

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So it seems to run between the luggage compartment cover and the inner fender. Will have a look on the weekend. I am afraid that I will have to either remove and clean them, or replace them entirely.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
I had to clear these on both my cars when I bought them. accumulation of dust becomes mud and blocks them.

Easiest way I found was to remove the boot side interior trim. See Pelican Parts for a start.
Then you can reach the tube ends. The good thing about having these trims out is you can do a good inspection of the rear end for rust, damage and to be sure all the other drains in the lower corners are clear. Inspect for fluid leaks, water leaks and also lubricate the bootlid front locks. Clean out any dust and leaves.

I had tried blowing air and sliding a narrow tube down the drain tubes and flushing, blowing, jiggling, but to no effect.

The tube on my '98 was almost too short and crimped somewhat where it turns a tight corner to go through the side panel. On my '01 car the tube was maybe 15mm longer and a better fit but still had blocked.

I suspect some little spiders like these areas and some cobwebs and dust become the start of a blockage.

So it's worth checking these drains from time to time and flushing them. Also, I never park under trees, as the leaves and seeds
will find their way into the tube.

There is a thread somewhere about putting flywire from screen doors over the inlet grills. I tried this but it is fiddly and hard to make it look neat and harder to see the spiders webs afterwards.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
They're easy to remove, but you'd likely need to remove the bumper to re-install them correctly.

I suggest using a 1.5M length of nylon filament from a weed trimmer; fill your clogged tube with hot water, then push the filament all the way in, keep pushing and twisting and tapping until the water starts flowing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beware when filling with water to soften the crud and then trying to blow through with an airline.
Someone I know did this and ended up with a face full of muddy water, comes out at a hell of a rate but not in the direction you'd like it to :wink:. Silly fellow.
I took the advice on here then and filled the tubes with warm water and some detergent and reached into the wing from the boot squeezed the tube and she cleared no problem.
Not like the other guy I know with the muddy face 0:)

·
Registered 2001 SLK230k
47 Posts
Mine were both completely blocked. I had success with ramming a length of pipe into the end of a water bottle, jamming the pipe down the drainage tube (after removing the grilles) then squeezing and releasing the bottle. Muddy gritty water just went in and out the bottle for a while until the drainage tube suddenly unblocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Removed the side panel in the trunk and pulled the rubber pipe from the exit hole. Massaged the stinking mud from the pipe and got it totally cleared. The water will never flow properly due to the way the pipe is squashed to fit through the exit hole. I found an elbow connector used in garden irrigation fits perfectly for the application. Water is now draining as it should with no obstructions. Needless to say, the SOP will still be to blow out the drains on a regular basis. A $1 elbow would have solved this problem form the beginning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Working in the construction industry, I am well aware of what a fish tape is. This did not help me as half the pipe was blocked with "mud" Only way I could clear it was my massaging the mud from the pipe. The main cause of blockages is the way the pipe is squashed to fit through the bodywork. My problem is forever solved by the plastic elbow, as the open end is now the same size as the drainage pipe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you post a.link or photo to the elbow?
Did not take a photo, sorry. But any hardware store that sell DIY irrigation systems will have it on the shelf. 20mm by 1/2 inch - one side is threaded (1/2 inch) whilst the other is a push in. Hope that gives you a better idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.