Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A topic I'm sure has had no shortage of discussion, but looking for some insight into my specific issue.

2010 SLK 300 with the 18" AMG wheels.

Original hardware was 245/35/18 Pirelli PZeros, which lasted ~8,500 miles. They were in good shape until a trip from D.C. and back to Syracuse, NY. The drive back was in winter weather and by the time I was 2/3 of the way back, noticed that the tires were almost wore down to bald (which made the last 100 miles or so a real adventure).

Replaced those with Goodyear Eagle F1's (245/35/18 again). Again, they were in fine shape through the drive from D.C. to Michigan (I know this as I detailed the car back in MI). Again, got caught in snow and some slick wet roads on the way back to D.C. (some white knuckle adventures as well). Again, when I get back, all of the tread is gone and might as well be on slicks.

Replaced the tires yesterday (after another 8,500 miles on the car) with Michelin 255/35/18 Pilot A/S+ (which I also put on the front about ~1,000 miles ago when the PZeros wore unevenly and the sound made my head want to explode, and the Michelin's have been great so far.)

So the random and sudden wear to those PZero and Eagle F1 rears, has anyone else seen the same thing? Seems like the two occurrences in the same conditions would appear to be more than just coincidence.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,459 Posts
i had the exact same issue on my 09 slk 55 amg with both goodyear f1 eagles and michelin ps2/a/s+. they became slicks after less than 10000 for both. switch to continentals

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had the exact same issue on my 09 slk 55 amg with both goodyear f1 eagles and michelin ps2/a/s+. they became slicks after less than 10000 for both. switch to continentals
It was crazy since they went from great shape to slicks in 530 miles.

I think the lesson learned is to avoid winter weather all together (which should be easy if I avoid long trips in the winter and since I live downtown with access to mass transit).

It was just the damndest thing and don't want that to happen again.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,459 Posts
that was unusual for how many miles, but mine was more time, like about 14 months, every day driving

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Conti also makes a DW which I read/hear is outstanding.....especially for those who do not drive in snow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Related story... because of most of his miles are in the city where it's not exactly the best conditioned roads, I've usually kept my tires at a higher inflation pressure (38 psi on the fronts, 43 on the rears) as I've found that has made it less sound like the end of the world is happening when I hit a good sized pothole.

How much of a dis-service am I doing running at the higher pressure? Noticed that the new tires on the rear were inflated to 32 psi.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So - no, I've never experienced seasonal related tyre wear on either PZero's or Conti's - BUT with that said, I also do not use my SLK's as much in the winter / cold and avoid snow and ice like the plague. I got about 13k miles out of the PZero's, and only have about 8k on the Conti's.

Over inflation in general decreases the contact patch with the road surface, and causes the tire to wear unevenly. It also causes a tire to be "firmer" - which in general should translate into a rougher ride and more potential for damage to the tire itself and the rim when hitting potholes - which seems at odds with what you are saying.....

About the only advantage I could point to on overinflating would be a potential to decrease sidewall flex and thus improve cornering - I suspect that with the high load rated / wide tires speced with the SLK this is marginal if at all.

I keep mine at the manufacturers spec when on the road, but do overinflate when I park the cars up for longer periods of time.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Which Pirelli PZeros and Goodyear Eagle F1's? Both are offered in many models, ranging from Extreme/Max Performance Summer to Ultra High Performance All-Season .IF they are the E/MPS's , they are not intended to be used in temps(usually) below 40*F. Maybe operating them below that temp leads to the extreme wear....just a thought.

And that is cool, pt :tu::tu:

Reactions: paultalb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which Pirelli PZeros and Goodyear Eagle F1's? Both are offered in many models, ranging from Extreme/Max Performance Summer to Ultra High Performance All-Season .IF they are the E/MPS's , they are not intended to be used in temps(usually) below 40*F. Maybe operating them below that temp leads to the extreme wear....just a thought.

And that is cool, pt :tu::tu:
Yep, they were the max performance (mostly out of ignorance as this was a recommendation by the local dealership).

The Michelins have been great so far, much smoother and quieter ride and negligible difference in performance.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Yep, they were the max performance (mostly out of ignorance as this was a recommendation by the local dealership).

The Michelins have been great so far, much smoother and quieter ride and negligible difference in performance.
Yah, they just aren't intended to be used in cold weather. Hey, live and learn, right!?

My SLK came with Conti DWS's, and I have to admit they are far better than I thought they would be. I'm hoping they can cut it this Winter. They tested very well with TheTireRack... so far so good, but no deep snow ... yet...so we'll see what gives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you get a good answer? We have the same car but down in Florida. Want something that will last longer and still on the type that came with it new. Keep having to replace the right rear.

A topic I'm sure has had no shortage of discussion, but looking for some insight into my specific issue.

2010 SLK 300 with the 18" AMG wheels.

Original hardware was 245/35/18 Pirelli PZeros, which lasted ~8,500 miles. They were in good shape until a trip from D.C. and back to Syracuse, NY. The drive back was in winter weather and by the time I was 2/3 of the way back, noticed that the tires were almost wore down to bald (which made the last 100 miles or so a real adventure).

Replaced those with Goodyear Eagle F1's (245/35/18 again). Again, they were in fine shape through the drive from D.C. to Michigan (I know this as I detailed the car back in MI). Again, got caught in snow and some slick wet roads on the way back to D.C. (some white knuckle adventures as well). Again, when I get back, all of the tread is gone and might as well be on slicks.

Replaced the tires yesterday (after another 8,500 miles on the car) with Michelin 255/35/18 Pilot A/S+ (which I also put on the front about ~1,000 miles ago when the PZeros wore unevenly and the sound made my head want to explode, and the Michelin's have been great so far.)

So the random and sudden wear to those PZero and Eagle F1 rears, has anyone else seen the same thing? Seems like the two occurrences in the same conditions would appear to be more than just coincidence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.