Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the midst of replacing the springs, shocks, bushings, control and thrust arms, sway bar link and, possibly, the rear hub bearings, as everything is out of the car to this point.

This is the starting point. on jackstand, with wheel off.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then, I removed the sway bar link, and lower shock mount bolt.
The suspension is still supported by upper thrust and control arms as well as a tie rod link.
I couldn't get a wrench on the back of this sway bar link, so I went with the vise grips.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removed rotor and axle hub spline nut. This one takes some effort. Once there is no weight on the car, you will need an impact or some leverage to hold the spindle in place while removing a nut with 145 ft lbs on it.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove front bolt from spring carrier and the spring drops out. Their will be pressure from the spring, so you can use a second jack to keep pressure on it while you drive out the bolt, then release the jack allowing the spring to decompress slowly.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ebrake was not a lot of fun to take off. I'm sure it's even more fun to put back on...
The top spring can be gently eased off towards the back of the plate it is slotted through, then the adjustment star wheel and parts can be removed. Their are two spring clips holding the brake pads to the dust shield so removed those. Then twisted the brake pads out with the bottom, beefier, spring still in place. disconnect the cable mechanism from the pads and DONT loose the small connecting pin.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I then disconnected the top two camber arms from the hub assembly and used a puller to pull the hub away from the drive axle.
That thrust arm up against the body doesn't look like it is coming out.... I'm not sure it is possible to get a wrench in there.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
FYI, you can find the proper spring compressor for $70 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescopic-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Strut-For-Mercedes-Benz-W114-W124-W202-W126/123255498121?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I would also take a note of where your toe adjuster was at before you loosen it. That way you can get in the correct ballpark when you put it back on. Make sure when you put it back together that you load the suspension before you tighten the bushings or you will wreck them. I used a small bottle jack from harbor to do this.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
23 Posts
Been there and done all this - got a 2004 SLK 200 last year and I have replaced all the discs, calipers, hoses, pads, then all the shocks, shock top mounts as well as every single control arm and linkage. As soon as this was done it got a four wheel alignment and new tyres (as well as the wheels refurbed).

Well worth the effort all round, the car rides great, and is as smooth on the highway as my brand new S213.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I haven't removed yet are the shocks. I ordered a 17mm socket with the insert for the tab at the top of the shock. Should be here today.

Also, as I have the spindles/hub out, I'm going to check with the machine shop about replacing the hub bearings. The things are out of the car and in my hands, so I should do this now instead of hearing them begin grinding in about 15,000 miles...

I'm going to set the rear tires on wheel ramps to load up the suspension before crawling under to tighten everything up. And, then over for a four wheel alignment.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
You can just use 2 wrenches on the top of the shocks. I used a 17mm for the bottom and crescent wrench for the top. Worked like a champ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts