Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I have just bought a SLK230K and it has no rear speakers.
The base on the front is rubbish and when the roof is off i would not even be able to hear the music.
I have a 4x50rms headunit.
i am thinking of puting some speakers behing the seat what is reccomended sub or normal speaker
i have read many threads abotu this but not havng much luck.

is the sound muffled if you have the seat all the way back???

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
Even if you replace the speakers in the rear as soon as you drop the top you will lose all of your base as your cabin acts like an enclosure....Open the enclosure = No Bass

You will have to do what works for you but here is what I did:
(I'm glad I took pictures of the stock speakers next to the new JL Audio speakers for comparison).

Alpine DVD/Nav Touch Panel Head Unit
JL Audio 6W0 Subs put in kick panels down by your feet.
JL Audio ZR Series Mids and Tweets
McIntosh Amplifier
Batcap to take strain off the car battery

Totally changed the sound of the car and by moving the subs up to the front of the vehicle we got a closer and better sound stage and was very accurate when tuned with a sound meter.

Good luck!!

Attachments

Reactions: etyu

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
They are actually 6.5's not 6's.

With my background I used to be a musician (Trumpet Player) and am very picky about how my music sounds. I absolutely HATE bass that rattles the car like 12's and 15's do for the most part. But at the same time I like very tight bass....like a quick punch without the rattling after the punch. If your looking to wake up the neighbors then these aren't for you but if your looking for clean, tight pounding bass then you will be happy with these. I was very surprised at how hard they hit being a little 6.5's but in our small cabin and the fact that they are in an enclosure which allowed me to move them up front for better sound staging.
The stock speakers behind the seats are only 6's with no enclosure which is why when you open the top you lose your bass. Now when I open the top I don't lose the bass and they still hit pretty damn hard.

I was looking at reviews because I'm too lazy to address everything you asked for like "How low do they go".
This review is right on as far as how I feel about them.

I Designed and built a system to hold three 6W0-8 subs (showing a 2.6 ohm load) and powered with an Alpine MRD-M300 amp. Results in a rag-top vehicle with settings at a nominal average were about 118 dB at the dash with a push up to 124 dB possible.

Box was 5/8" MDF, single chamber, sealed, .55 ft^3 total, stuffed with poly-fill.

Results were very fast and clean responses with volumes being decent. At max levels it performed similar to what someone would expect a low to mid range single 10" under similar power.

Response was smooth high up through the curve with a quick dropoff starting around the 45Hz range. Unexpectedly they did continue audible performance well below 30Hz range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kick Panels -After market ?

I see your pic and I just have a follow up as to where you got the kick panels ( i am assuming they were after market ) for putting the JBL subs in the front kick panels. Could you just elaborate on that a bit. I see your point how getting the subs mounted lower would help the bass with the top down. I currently have the rear speakers but would just like to improve the bass a tad with the top down..thanks much for your reply.

Rick from Nashville ' 99 SLK 230

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
You Said:

"I see your point how getting the subs mounted lower would help the bass with the top down."

The point isn't really that the subs are lower in the vehicle as bass is "Non-Directional" as the speaker doesn't have to be pointed in any particular direction.
What I was referring to was the fact that they are now in an enclosure which keeps the bass consistent. With your current speakers they are behind each seat and they are not enclosed which is why you lose your bass when you drop the top. With mine the kick panels keep the bass tight. In yours because the subs aren't enclosed it technically makes your cabin of the car the enclosure and when you open the top your cabin enclosure no longer works because you have a big hole in the top of your car.
By putting them in my custom kick panels I took the car out of the mix as being the enclosure.
Also by moving the kick panels up front and closer to the mids and tweeters it was easier getting the sound tuned and balanced.

I know I went a bit too much in detail explaining this but just want to make sure that you understand what I'm saying so I apologize for being long winded....:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for your reply. Do you have any instructions for how you built your custom kick panels ? I sure would appreciate any help you can give me..Thanks much !!

Rick

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
thanks for your reply. Do you have any instructions for how you built your custom kick panels ? I sure would appreciate any help you can give me..Thanks much !!

Rick

No I don't as my system was done by a company in Tampa, FL named "Sensous Sound" or "http://sensuoussound.com/".

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nice job Tungster. Bet it sounds GREAT. I'm copying off your pictures and putting it in my "to do" file.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

Sorry for waking up a "dead" thread but i was googling and just found it.
@Tungster: As you have an Alpine IVA D310: Where did you put the tuner? I guess down to the feet of the passenger site?
And did you ever try the Head Unit with the original Speakers?
I had another Head Unit in before the alpine (not the original one) and the sound was pretty clean.
Now as soon as base kicks in i have big noise problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Better to play with the audio tuning (more basses) of your headunit then putting rear speakers (behind the seats)... They will be just good for a back massage... :))))

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
Hi!

Sorry for waking up a "dead" thread but i was googling and just found it.
@Tungster: As you have an Alpine IVA D310: Where did you put the tuner? I guess down to the feet of the passenger site?
And did you ever try the Head Unit with the original Speakers?
I had another Head Unit in before the alpine (not the original one) and the sound was pretty clean.
Now as soon as base kicks in i have big noise problems.
The amplifier is mounted on stilts. Underneath that is the whole brains of the Alpine unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The amplifier is mounted on stilts. Underneath that is the whole brains of the Alpine unit.
So you have the alpine "brain" in your cargo bay? I first tried the same but recognized that my cables are just 10 centimetres short... or did you extend them?

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
So you have the alpine "brain" in your cargo bay? I first tried the same but recognized that my cables are just 10 centimetres short... or did you extend them?
I did not do the install as my shop in Tampa, FL (sensuoussound.com) did the whole car as far as audio goes.

I can't directly answer your question but assume if the cables were short that they did indeed extend them in some way.

But YES the whole brains is under the amplifier in the cargo bay.

Reactions: Fend0r
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.