Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a SLK 230 R170 - it's a bit of a restoration project so hopefully I can bring her back to former glory.

I've been able to tackle the major engine and srs issues through the help from this forum but there are a couple of things that I'm struggling to find fixes for.

The main one is the rear screen demister.

Ive already performed a few checks with voltmeter and the rear screen has no breaks, the rear connector is good, fuse is good and the switch operates as light comes on for 10-15mins.

I've found a wiring diagram online which shows the dashboard switch, goes to N10-3 module, then goes through the PSE control module into fuse box, back into PSE control module relay and then finally the rear screen demister.

As I know the screen is good, the switch seems to operate and fuses are good then I'm thinking either the n10 combination module or PSE is faulty.

Does anyone know the connector block wire colours for these units so I can carry out more tests to determine which unit is causing me the problem?

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,190 Posts
@Cookie4430 Can you update your profile with the year and model for your SLK so we know which model to look up? I should be able to get you the info you need but I'll need these details to be sure.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,685 Posts
@Cookie4430 Now you see what I was trying to point out in my reply to your intro.

Only takes 30 seconds or so.
Details of how are now in your intro thread.

:tu:

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,190 Posts
This should serve as a starter. As it happens, there is only one Demister diagram.

PDF of the wiring for the demister.

Looking at the diagram N10 sends its signal to the demister relay over the CANbus, so you won't be able to check the wiring to the control unit for the demister. You are right, though, the PSE module (A37) has the relay for the demister (R1).

With someone else pressing the switch on and off, can you hear the relay click in the PSE module? That should see if the control signal is getting through to the unit.
Check if 12V comes and goes when you toggle the demister switch on PSE module pin 1 (black) or if you can, on the connector for the demister (again, black wire). if not, check there's +12V on the PSE module pin 2 (red/green wire).
Check continuity to the earth (W7) from the connector (X19) brown wire too.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your help - I did as you recommended and it helped locate and fix the problem. I had my son turning the dashboard switch on & off and I couldn't hear anything in PSE module, so I fiddled with the brown and black wires and I don't think the brown wire was located properly in the wiring block as it made an audible click and then hey presto the demister now works. Thanks guys and now onto the next job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.