Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK55 AMG
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had the car long and I just noticed the driver side rear quarter panel does not move when operating the roof. The other side goes up and down fine, this side is stuck up.

Any suggestions to get it working? Would the battery reset be worth a shot? I noticed an odd crunching noise that I am assuming is the window regulator or motor failing?

Is there an easy way to access the window to check for loose connections or does the seat need pulled?

WWYD? As far as I can tell it isn't leaking and the vario-roof rubber slides right over the glass, am I going to damage anything operating it like this? I would freak out if it was stuck down, up is another story...

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
17,729 Posts
Try this (post # 3 for that crunching noise)

but first

Try this:

You must reset each side window if a side
window can no longer be closed fully.

X Close all the doors.
X Turn the SmartKey to position 1 or 2 in the
ignition lock.
X Pull the corresponding switch on the door
control panel until the side window is
completely closed. (Y page 80)
X Hold the switch for an additional second.
If the side window opens again slightly:
X Immediately pull the corresponding switch
on the door control panel until the side
window is completely closed (Y page 80).
X If the corresponding side window remains
closed after the button has been released,
the side window has been reset correctly.
If this is not the case, repeat the steps
above again.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try this (post # 3 for that crunching noise)

but first

Try this:

You must reset each side window if a side
window can no longer be closed fully.

X Close all the doors.
X Turn the SmartKey to position 1 or 2 in the
ignition lock.
X Pull the corresponding switch on the door
control panel until the side window is
completely closed. (Y page 80)
If the side window opens again slightly:
X Immediately pull the corresponding switch
on the door control panel until the side
window is completely closed (Y page 80).
X If the corresponding side window remains
closed after the button has been released,
the side window has been reset correctly.
If this is not the case, repeat the steps
above again.
Appreciate the help.

It looks like the cable is gone. See the image I attached.

How difficult is it to pull this window? Does the seat need to come out?

I'm considering just leaving it as-is since the top works fine and this car is only out on sunny days. Unless someone thinks I'm going to damage things further? The roof seal slides right over the glass without issue. Suggestions welcome. 😅

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,849 Posts
Appreciate the help.

It looks like the cable is gone. See the image I attached.

How difficult is it to pull this window? Does the seat need to come out?

I'm considering just leaving it as-is since the top works fine and this car is only out on sunny days. Unless someone thinks I'm going to damage things further? The roof seal slides right over the glass without issue. Suggestions welcome. 😅
Take a look at this tnread.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take a look at this tnread.
I was just reading through that, thank you.

The only question that isn't addressed in the post is whether or not this will require a trip to Mercedes for programming?

·
2,849 Posts
I was just reading through that, thank you.

The only question that isn't addressed in the post is whether or not this will require a trip to Mercedes for programming?
It does not need programming but you will have to adjust the rear side window. For that you will need to move it up and down with the roof open. Can be done with a SmartTop installed I guess. Or with DAS/STAR.
That's why the guy in the video said to mark the position of the window on the regulator before you remove it. Make sure you put it back in exactly the same position and you should be good. I think. ;)

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does not need programming but you will have to adjust the rear side window. For that you will need to move it up and down with the roof open. Can be done with a SmartTop installed I guess. Or with DAS/STAR.
That's why the guy in the video said to mark the position of the window on the regulator before you remove it. Make sure you put it back in exactly the same position and you should be good. I think. ;)
I already ordered a replacement regulator. It really doesn't look that bad to replace thanks to that video from another SLK world user. From what I read from that thread as long as you install it with the window in the up position with the top down; when you put the top up it should stay up and then go back down when you put the roof down next time. I guess you can't install it with the glass down anyways. Also don't operate the roof with it unplugged unless you want to visit the dealer lol

The big question is if I can adjust it properly before I actually put the top up so I don't damage any seals. For that I will use the window in the driver door to get it close.

Thanks again guys! I'll update once finished

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the regulator yesterday but I'm still having issues with this window. The regulator I pulled yesterday was definitely getting power, the issue was a broken cable.

New regulator is in and its not going down!!! I'm getting sound from this side, but it's not doing anything. I bought the cheapest used regulator on ebay , what can I do other than buy another?

I've tried pulling the battery overnight, resetting the Windows, running the top several times. I installed it with the top down with the glass in the up position, other posts describe replacing the regulator, putting the top up , then it should sync with the other side quarter window or am I missing something?

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sidenote: I attempted to adjust the height adjustment on the new regulator and I was unable to adjust it down even though there was room for adjustment. I tried pushing down on the new window / regulator but it won't budge.

Shouldnt I be able to move the window by force, or does the cable / motor lock it in place?

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,373 Posts
Sidenote: I attempted to adjust the height adjustment on the new regulator and I was unable to adjust it down even though there was room for adjustment. I tried pushing down on the new window / regulator but it won't budge.

Shouldnt I be able to move the window by force, or does the cable / motor lock it in place?
Looking at Pete's post you will need to do this via the DAS/STAR unit if you have one.
Otherwise, try to find an independent that has the proper MB system, or it's a dealer job.

The only other way is to obtain a system.
@i860 @VII7 may be able to point you in the right direction.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at Pete's post you will need to do this via the DAS/STAR unit if you have one.
Otherwise, try to find an independent that has the proper MB system, or it's a dealer job.

The only other way is to obtain a system.
@i860 @VII7 may be able to point you in the right direction.
That still doesn't explain why the window isn't moving at all... It Should be moving up and down with the top.

·
2,849 Posts
I would have to check,but from memory, afaik the roof controller just powers the motor of the rear quarter window for a certain amount of time to make it go up. To make it go down it just reverses polarity for the same amount of time. Time the motor is powered must not be too long otherwise it burns out. All done by roof controller. This all from memory,see if I can dig it up later today.
Hard to tell what is wrong from this side of the internet. Faulty regulator? Faulty install? Motor not correct plugged in? Afraid you have to check. Or,as Myk says, indy or dealer job. Sorry.

·
2,849 Posts
Checked some things and yes, rear side window motor is actuated by the roof controller. Motor has no auto-shutoff and afaik there is no switch in the window assemble to detect full up or down of the window. So guess it is totally controlled by the roof controller.
There is an emergency procedure to open and close the side windows independent from the roof controller. Maybe you could try that for fault finding? See attachments and good luck!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts