Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
'Silkie Growler'
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have a R171 1.8 Kompressor.

I'm not used to driving a car with such fancy suspension or roadholding. It seems to me, that there is a kind of waddle from the backend. As though after manoeuvring, it kind of settles down once (if you've ever looked at a duck from behind, you'll get what I mean), that's the best way I can describe it.

It isn't very pronounced, nor does it feel like something bad - just different. Has anyone else noticed something similar?"

Richard

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,804 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,165 Posts
Tyres, wheels, suspension and chassis.

Make sure wheel lugs torqued correctly first.

Start with alignment.

Have you hit any big potholes?
Damaged wheels do funny things and you often cannot tell until it comes time to change the tyres.

Any clunk noises on full lock?
Would hint broken spring.

·
'Silkie Growler'
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had MOT before purchase last week. Nothing came up except for a new front coil spring which was replaced. I have only done 70 miles and I haven't hit anything, or done any damage. I'm taking it to my mechanic on Friday morning, I have a feeling that he's just going to tell me that this is what cars like this feel like :)

However, I shall update you with the good or the bad news.

·
Super Moderator
24,165 Posts
If he says that, replace the mechanic.

I routinely drive a 350 and 55. I go to meets and have been on many tours.
No 171 driver would expect that handling.

Some MOT testers are more thorough than others, so chassis check still worth it.

But, as a spring has been changed, that is first suspicion.
Steering linkage, power steering fluid as maybes.

At slow speed the steering can be heavy & then gets lighter at higher speeds.
But there should be no wobble.

And check those wheel lugs, especially on the wheel where the spring was changed.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
'Duck waggle' almost certainly something amiss at the rear. The sub frame issue often missed by MOT testers, because it's not suspected. Rear suspension arms tend to be inspected properly. The member rots from inside out and only becomes obvious just before failure. Really, have it checked...

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Welcome from Gloucester uk
Get it checked out as stated above but it could be something as simple as the tyres.
I found with both my SLKs that I got movement when my tyres had ‘gone off’ either through age or wear and putting new tyres on cured the issue.

·
Super Moderator
24,165 Posts
same link as per post 5. though there are several others.

It may not be this, but it is THE most important to eliminate.
When it lets go, it does so big time.

·
'Silkie Growler'
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tomorrow, 9am, we shall have an answer and you my new friends, shall be the first to know!

^ I wasn't paying attention, as usual, thought it was a new thread today! But anyway, if I were the OP, and just acquired the car, I'd be getting that checked PDQ....

·
'Silkie Growler'
129 Posts
Well, the truth is that you are not the first to know, Fiona was!
So it took it to Vincent, who said, ‘Yes Richard, that’s what they are supposed to feel like!’
Now, Vincent knows what he’s talking about, partly because he’s had a couple, but also because he’s a mechanic engineer who races a very un stock Alpha. He took me out for a spin and showed me what the little growler will do. I am impressed - especially for an automatic.
He identified that there was a hot spot on one of the rear disks (‘cause it was garaged for so long) that we can fix when it gets serviced if I’m feeling flush.

He reckons that I’ve gotten a pretty amazing deal for 4K.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Well, the truth is that you are not the first to know, Fiona was!
So it took it to Vincent, who said, ‘Yes Richard, that’s what they are supposed to feel like!’
Now, Vincent knows what he’s talking about, partly because he’s had a couple, but also because he’s a mechanic engineer who races a very un stock Alpha. He took me out for a spin and showed me what the little growler will do. I am impressed - especially for an automatic.
He identified that there was a hot spot on one of the rear disks (‘cause it was garaged for so long) that we can fix when it gets serviced if I’m feeling flush.

He reckons that I’ve gotten a pretty amazing deal for 4K. 😊
Glad you had it inspected properly underneath. My 55 doesn't waggle unless the tyres are lit up.... And by your comment that I highlighted above, maybe you should take a test drive in a 55? >:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts