Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
* Registered
1998 SLK R170 230 Kompressor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old girl passed her M.O.T. today with no advisories and compliments from the tester, however there is a clunk from the rear end that seems to be getting worse but I can't find it.

The tester mentioned it and said he could not find it either and said I can't fail it on a fault I can't find. Please what are the most common causes of clunks from the rear end?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
102,377 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,349 Posts
broken spring - you cannot see it unless up in air n looking for it

from a search of our wonderful site

This is what I had. Very good mechanic at the tester - same people who service it - said he thought there was a problem, ‘but you can’t take the wheels off when you’re doing a test’. So he passed it and then they had a look. Very hard to see without removing the wheel and using a mirror.
mine’s a 171 but I imagine the principle remains the same.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
A broken spring often first shows it's 'clunk' when you turn the wheels whilst moving slowly.
Gradually getting worse.

If it is that you need to jump on resolving the issue. If that spring fails the consequences can be tragic.

·
* Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A broken spring often first shows it's 'clunk' when you turn the wheels whilst moving slowly.
Gradually getting worse.

If it is that you need to jump on resolving the issue. If that spring fails the consequences can be tragic.
Thanks for your replies guys
Springs all good, going to have a look at the prop shaft center bearing, but it does seem to be coming from further back. Cold and wet here, can't get myself motivated today,. it's not my daily drive so I'll have a beer and think about it for a while

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys
Springs all good, going to have a look at the prop shaft center bearing, but it does seem to be coming from further back. Cold and wet here, can't get myself motivated today,. it's not my daily drive so I'll have a beer and think about it for a while
Might be worth recording the sound if you can.
One man's clunk is another's clank.
One of our experts might just do a 'I know what that is' from the sound.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,371 Posts
As far as recording the sound, you may get a better recording if you use your cell phone in the boot. There are free apps you can get for recording if your cell doesn't come with one.

Just start recording, put your cell in the boot (closer to the side you think the noise is coming from) and drive away to generate that noise.

Better than trying to record from the cabin (y)

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
102,377 Posts
cell phone has camera video...video has sound :D

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,371 Posts
True but sound takes up less memory than vid & sound. Some folks have tons of stuff on there and little room to add more. Ask my wife 😉

It's just a suggestion :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dave2302

·
* Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might be worth recording the sound if you can.
One man's clunk is another's clank.
One of our experts might just do a 'I know what that is' from the sound.
That would probably be a good idea, however I don't posses either the equipment (no smart phone) or the ability to post it here. The bump, bang ,clunk or clank only happens over bumps in the road, leading me to think it's something in the suspension.

I also have a small oil leak from the diff so I'm contemplating (with a touch of dread ) dropping the rear sub frame and doing a full restoration on the lot! Lock down here in the UK is horrendous, no golf no pubs but on the up side some of our cars may be getting some extra TLC

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
Mine has become a delivery cabriolet for the inlaws shopping and meds.
No downtime for me.
No proper drives out either though.

Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
4 Posts
.. what are the most common causes of clunks from the rear end?
My rear end clunk .. and a bunch of other odd behavior .. @ 82k, was cleared up when all the engine, trans, and various chassis and suspension rubber bits were changed. It resolved problems I didn't even know I had. Like driving a new car .. not that I've ever driven a new SLK.

I see others have mentioned the rubber cushions, and I agree with that.

·
* Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My rear end clunk .. and a bunch of other odd behavior .. @ 82k, was cleared up when all the engine, trans, and various chassis and suspension rubber bits were changed. It resolved problems I didn't even know I had. Like driving a new car .. not that I've ever driven a new SLK.

I see others have mentioned the rubber cushions, and I agree with that.
Thanks for your reply, I think that, maybe the required course of action. On the one hand the lock down gives me plenty of time on the other the miserable and freezing weather demotivates . Now if I were in OZ !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts