Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd planned on going out for a cruise yesterday in what's was the nicest day of the year so far but as soon as I started to drive I could hear a click, click, clicking sound coming from the rear of the car. It was constant and speeded up when I started to go faster so I turned around went home and parked up.

This morning on checking to see if it was still there, starting up was fine but when I put the car into reverse there was a bit of a judder as if the brakes were binding which stopped as soon as I started moving. After backing out I put the car in to drive with no issues and drove some 2 or 3 miles at various speeds with no issues so I pulled off the road on to a siding. I then reversed back and forth for some 30 yards with no issues about 10 to 15 times but on the last time driving forwards the clicking noise at the rear started again so I drove home. The clicking sound remained all the way, getting quicker the faster I drove so my question is.... what could it be?

My thoughts are CV joint / drive shaft.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking about it some more, if the car had not been driven for a week or so the brakes would feel as if they were binding when the car first moved off but this feeling went once the car was moving.

I've just had my son drive the car back and forth on the driveway whilst I'm crouched down by the side trying to fathom out what the noise is and its definitely coming from the rear right side wheel area (when looking from the front of the car) so is it perhaps something rubbing or catching on or around the brake calliper/dust cover area.....any ideas what it could be?

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions (y)

I've checked the tyres and there are no stones or anything else in them so the handbrake will be next. Not sure how I'm going to check the springs and the subframe though as I don't have any means or place to get under the car.

Does the forum or anywhere else online have any downloadable files or documents similar to the old Haynes manuals etc. as I've no idea what I'm going to be looking at or for and it would be good to have something to reference against?

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,682 Posts
I, ehm, heard a big clonking sound that just kept getting worse two days ago..

From the sound of it, I also suspected the spring, one of the many suspension arms, roll bar or similar. Stopped, took the wheel of and everything looked fine. Nothing loose or broken off. That was a relief. But also mysterious! :)

Then I looked over the disc and down and saw a huge bolt just lying there on the suspension arm! Found its source quite quickly. It was the lower bolt for the caliper! And the upper one was also loose! The whole caliper just moved freely!

I must have missed to put some loctite on them when I did work this winter..

Worth a check..

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I, ehm, heard a big clonking sound that just kept getting worse two days ago..

From the sound of it, I also suspected the spring, one of the many suspension arms, roll bar or similar. Stopped, took the wheel of and everything looked fine. Nothing loose or broken off. That was a relief. But also mysterious! :)

Then I looked over the disc and down and saw a huge bolt just lying there on the suspension arm! Found its source quite quickly. It was the lower bolt for the caliper! And the upper one was also loose! The whole caliper just moved freely!

I must have missed to put some loctite on them when I did work this winter..

Worth a check..
I'm planning on jacking the rear nearside up, removing the wheel and checking underneath to see if I can spot anything obvious broken or missing, I'll also have a look at the brake set up.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,682 Posts
Ok, so clonk when reversing and then clicking (ticking?) sound after that doesn't quite sound like the spring..

It sounds more like something "changing location", twisting or turning and then starts hitting metal-on-metal.

There's a small plastic arm that goes down from the roll bar down to the main suspension arm. It's hard plastic, so that could give a clicking (but not ticking) sound perhaps. That little arm looks VERY fragile, don't know how that even holds together being plastic I mean :).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts