Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*Registered
2019 SLC300
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this forum, I like to update my SLK250 sport AMG with rear carbon fiber diffuser, most Ebay items has dual exhaust and I have square one. Is it something I can DIY? please advice

Thanks

Charlie

·
Registered 2015 SLK 55 AMG
128 Posts
I bought a CF diffuser from Taiwan. The removal of the old diffuser is easy - just remove four (I think, from memory) snap bolts, which are plastic, and then working from one side to the other, work the tabs out of the lip on the bumper. Installation is similarly easy - fasten one side with the snap on bolts (which you can buy piecemeal from Mercedes parts), then work the tabs into the bumper lip, then fasten the other side.

The real problem is the quality of the CF diffusers. I returned mine because it was missing the tabs that go into the bumper lip (just had slots, no tabs to hold it) and was completely missing one bolt hole. Because the CF is MUCH less flexible than the plastic stock diffuser, it is really really hard to install without those tabs to hold it as you are forming around the bumper.

I had a terrible time trying to send it back (post office wouldn't take it and freight cost more than the diffuser) - but eBay finally stepped in and refunded my money.

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
71 Posts
Agree with ApexAMG, don't buy the one from Ebay, it will not fit into your car due to the stiffness of the CF. I end up throw away mine. If you are trying to order the one from Germany, make sure to ask them how flexible that piece is or it will not latch into the bumper lip. Hope this will help.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Could I suggest you contact Dan McKenzie at Carbonwurks? He is an open-wheel racer who makes his own carbon fibre car parts. He can do the full pre-preg carbon fibre but he's very well known in the Audi TT community for doing a clever form of wrapping existing parts in genuine carbon fibre. Because you don't need to make a mould and the part isn't structural you get a genuine carbon fibre finish that properly fits the car (because it actually came off the car in the first place) you get the carbon fibre at a relatively cheap price. His Audi TT wing mirrors are £250/pair compared to £1000/pair for all-carbon ones from Audi.

He's recently starting doing A-class dashboards for £600/$1000 and again, the wing mirrors for an SLK are £275 and the rear diffuser for an A45 would be £295, so probably the same for an SLK.

I'm not connected with them, other than having had several chats with Dan at various Audi TT Owners Club meetings. The finish on the parts are superb and he has been trading for at least 7 years with a long-standing customer base among Audi TT owners. He's now bought an A45 hence he has now started making bits for that too.

CarbonWurks Custom Carbon FibreCarbon Fibre Custom Performance Car Parts - CarbonWurks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.