Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a sticky for this, I have been reading almost every page.

Somebody mentioned taking the rear view camera from other models (ML, S, etc), but the idea didn't really catch up.

So I was wondering: has nobody tried this yet?
I mean... it's NTG 4.5, it has a compatible camera port, it just requires a camera, CAN communication controller, and some cables, which should all be available from an ML, C, S, etc. Hell, some of us even took other parts from these cars, such as blind spot assist sensors, blind spot assist mirrors, etc.

I know the SLC already has a camera (which is now mandatory, for regulatory reasons), but since the SLC is no longer using NTG 4.5, but a newer version, I highly doubt that the camera controller is compatible.

I have bought a trunk handle from an A class (which is the same for SLC), and which has a place to hold the camera (so no need to drill into the metal parts, or find a better suited spot.
I have found that this door handle has the same cable connector as the SLK, hence why I figured it should be compatible.

Link below:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-W205-Tailgate-Boot-Lid-Handle-without-cam-A2227500893-2016/113165438668?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'd rather pay 50 Euros for an OEM handler, than to drill into the metal parts of the car, which, if I want later to bring back to OEM standards, can no longer do it.

I have also bought a cheap Chinese camera and a Fakra cable from china, which never arrived, after 2 months, so now, I'm thinking to go OEM all the way.

The only impediment I see is SCN coding. Can it be done?
I mean... Blind spot assist is not an option on the SLK, yet it was done before, by @JudgeMing

I also know he went the Chinese camera way, so...

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
728 Posts
Yes you can retrofit and then variant code comand.
The hardest part will be wiring and care should be taken due to the dual action of the trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Interesting project!

My take: I reviewed the setup from the SL and saw immediately that it wasn't a solution. The plastic part where the handle and camera are placed in the SL requires a much bigger gap between the lid and the metal sheet that goes to the number plate area. I wasn't planning any hacksaw activity at that time (yes, I am considering a hack saw action currently: air scoops from the SL65AMG in the hood, different story).

The link you provided pointed to a C-class handle/camera mold, but I guess the idea is the same. There may not be any SCN coding involved. The engineering menu offers a range of rear view cam options and the one you need now is the one that tells there is an independent shutter before the camera. From the list: not installed
SRVC, DRVM, DRVM-PSC, RVC2.0, RVC2.0-PSC, SVS. The last one looks most promising. The only way forward is to try (without doing all of the installation work obviously, just connect the plug to the cam to the appropriate wires, +/- and 2 computer wires and see if the shutter opens).

Check: does the handle mechanism work the same? Old style: mechanical. New style: electrical.

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, this didn't work out (I just received it), the door handle + the camera is much bigger :'(

My bad, of course, as I based this solely on the pictures, and since it was cheap, I assumed I would take the risk.

Somebody please either delete this thread, or add a big text in red, at the beginning saying that this idea is invalid. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
One SLK R172 AMG driver told me, that he retrofited one of these rear view cams 1:1 to his car.

He told me, that these ones are fitting very well. It is just work to do to bring the related cable from the trunk to the NTG4.5. Activating rear view cam after install is possible via engineering menue

This is something I have on my ToDo List for mine :)

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One SLK R172 AMG driver told me, that he retrofited one of these rear view cams 1:1 to his car.

He told me, that these ones are fitting very well. It is just work to do to bring the related cable from the trunk to the NTG4.5. Activating rear view cam after install is possible via engineering menue

This is something I have on my ToDo List for mine :)
This is really nice! I saw some of these in the past, for sale, but lost track of it.

Right now, though, I am in the process of attempting the SLC camera retrofit, which involves replacing the whole trunk lid (which I want to do anyway, due to other options as well).

Being an expensive retrofit, it might take awhile, before I will be able to report back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is really nice! I saw some of these in the past, for sale, but lost track of it.

Right now, though, I am in the process of attempting the SLC camera retrofit, which involves replacing the whole trunk lid (which I want to do anyway, due to other options as well).

Being an expensive retrofit, it might take awhile, before I will be able to report back.
WoW the whole SLC trunk lid.....wich other options?

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WoW the whole SLC trunk lid.....wich other options?
Some useless ones: universal phone option 386 and attempt to improve the dab signal. For these, I need the shark fin on the trunk lid, which requires a new lid.

I like my stuff to be oem, and I also like playing around with this sort of stuff. This will also give me the guide lines from the steering wheel,on the camera image.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some useless ones: universal phone option 386 and attempt to improve the dab signal. For these, I need the shark fin on the trunk lid, which requires a new lid.

I like my stuff to be oem, and I also like playing around with this sort of stuff. This will also give me the guide lines from the steering wheel,on the camera image.
You keep it OEM style with this solution I guess.

You just have to change the white part of the trunk lid

with that one I showed you in the Amazon-Link for a W246 B-Class

Maybe the camera has to be turned :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
You keep it OEM style with this solution I guess.

You just have to change the white part of the trunk lid

View attachment 571357
View attachment 571358

with that one I showed you in the Amazon-Link for a W246 B-Class

View attachment 571360

Maybe the camera has to be turned :)
Are you talking about the release handle? Found this part which includes the camera. If it's the correct part, I want one. I've started the process of adding a camera. My head unit setting is changed. I've tapped into the reverse lamp wire and I intend to install a power relay (already have the parts). I've got a camera. My idea is to test the camera before opening anything else up. My garage isn't heated, so I've been waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. And I got distracted by replacing the headlight switch in my '99 C230.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you talking about the release handle? Found this part which includes the camera. If it's the correct part, I want one.....
I've ordered the release handle I've showed in earlier post, which should fit 1:1. The delivery is from overseas, so it would take 1-2 weeks to arrive :( Just have to take out the original release handle, unscrew the white part where the plug is in and exchange it with the black one including the reverse camera and get power for the camera over the reverse light. I've ordered Wireless adapters as well, that I don't have to get the cable from the back through to the head unit. What you also need will be a Fakra on Chinch Adapter to be able to plug in the Camera cable into the head unit for RVC.

This is the genuine one which clabs out when you in reverse. I guess the measures won't fit in an SLK R172 between 2011 and 2016 such as mine. This one could fit in an SLC after 2016

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've ordered the release handle I've showed in earlier post, which should fit 1:1. The delivery is from overseas, so it would take 1-2 weeks to arrive :( Just have to take out the original release handle, unscrew the white part where the plug is in and exchange it with the black one including the reverse camera
I don't see how this is a 1:1 fit.

The original one has two screws in the handle. This chinese one has no screws in it.
The holes where the screws go in, supposedly, seem to be in a different spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't see how this is a 1:1 fit.

The original one has two screws in the handle. This chinese one has no screws in it.
The holes where the screws go in, supposedly, seem to be in a different spot.
You should take the same screws from the genuine part. The Chinese one has the needed holes on the same place like the genuine (white) one.
If you just take out the white part from the genuine frame of the trunk lid and use the genuine frame of the trunk lid together with the Chinese button it should fit.

When my camera arrives and I try the exchange, I will make pictures and a short summary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts