Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was boored today, so I figure I take half the car apart and connect my rear camera. The weather is so nice, it was quite nice to work outside.

But now that I got the AV cable were I wanted it, it’s invisible and everything is prepared for the final connecting, I started wondering how all this should fit together..

The AV cable have a short stub of what looks like a power cable at each end. This is the one that got me confused. WHY!? What are they for, as far as I know, AV don't need extra power.. ?
Light Circuit component Gas Audio equipment Electrical wiring

The HU loom have a special rear cam power cable. The idea is to put another ”rear view camera” in the front grill, so I'll have use for that "VIDE(O) IN" connection as well eventually.
Pliers Networking cables Electrical wiring Cable Gas

The camera have a special +- cable connector, but no power on the AV connector..
Electrical wiring Adapter Cable Gas Audio equipment

And, oh yes! I DID spray paint the actual camera (except the lens obviously! :) ) in the original colour of the car ;) :).

This is the diagram that came with the camera.
White Product Rectangle Font Parallel

What I’d like is to have the HU turn on the cam and have power to the camera only when the ignition (key in) as the HU. As in, NOT just when I put the car in reverse.
Idea is to use these cameras as dash cams AS WELL as reverse and front view (curbs and what not up front).
I have the "park radar" as an option on this car, so don't REALLY need the rear cam as a reverse cam :).

Can/should I assume that:
  • I shouldn't connect the AV cables extra power anywhere.
  • Don't connect the HU "Rear view camera power" anywhere either.
  • Connect the cameras +- power cable to "somewhere" where I have power ONLY on ignition on.
    • Can I connect it to the reg plate lights? Would that trigger an error somewhere?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
383 Posts
Just connect the + to the rear part of the sigaret lighter in the pasenger footwell and it will be switched on with the ignition. Good luck

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350
1,047 Posts
Hi, my first question, does you HU turn to rear camera when you select reverse (without doing anything else)?
if so, it’s the same as mine and gets it’s signal via the cambus, so all you need to do is provide the camera with power either direct from the reversing lights or via an ignition feed.
I did what Merc55 said and put +12v ignition onto the red wire at the HU end, then fed that to the camera at the rear.
But,,, if you HU needs to know when you select reverse, you need to use that red with to send +12v From the reverse lights to the HU and onto the ‘reverse sense wire Input’.

If you use the ‘rear camera power 12v’ to feed power to the camera Please Check that it’s only on with the ignition, I found mine was always on and the camera would drain my battery within 3 to 4 days!

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Reactions: Trev5 and Avel Du

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350
1,047 Posts
@Turbo
I’ll be at the meeting on Sunday if you need more info or to go over anything more.

Reactions: Turbo and Avel Du

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, my first question, does you HU turn to rear camera when you select reverse (without doing anything else)?
It does.

I did what Merc55 said and put +12v ignition onto the red wire at the HU end, then fed that to the camera at the rear.
Just connect the + to the rear part of the sigaret lighter in the pasenger footwell and it will be switched on with the ignition.
Do you mean to only connect that short red stubby wire on the AV cable to 12+ (cigarete lighter), NOT connect the +- power cable on the camera to anything?
Or do I still need to feed the camera with 12V from "somewhere"?

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@mike350 Thanx for the tips! Connecting the red stub in the AV cable to one of the cables for the cigarette lighter connector (the one that only had power on ignition) in one end and the other end to the camera "+" cable and the "-" to the ground cable for the reg number plate light (couldn't get a good ground anywhere else) did the trick!

Still need to get a bigger hole for the camera connectors through the trunk (didn't drill a big enough last time).. But I connected up everything and hung the camera loose and I have video!
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Electrical wiring Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Grille

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
383 Posts
Serieus work! I just got a camera at Aliexpress that replaces the license plate light with one with a camera

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Window

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
50 Posts
This may be too late for you as its finished already, but for others it may help a bit, I cheated with my wiring by using a test light to find the corresponding wire connecting straight to the reverse light Positive on the side the boot lid loom ran down. That way I just followed one wire up to the camera and one wire down from the camera, most of the cameras earths when connected to your device so you wont need to tap earth but it doesn't hurt if you do anyway.

Notes for those with R172:
OEM NTG head units just go into "engineering mode" by depressing the phone hang-up, 1 & # keys simultaneously then change the disabled setting to enable Rear factory camera option then the display will switch to reverse cam input in Reverse automatically.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was lucky (?) in the sense that the A/V cable that I had was only one wire, but it contained the power "inside" it - doesn't seem to affect the video quality though. So I only had to pull one cable from the rear to the HU.

As for the earth, I didn't have anything that worked "up there" on the boot lid, so had to take it from the number plate lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts