Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys has anyone with R171 AMG 55 had issues getting there rear calliper pistons to go back far enough into the calliper to allow new discs and pads to be fitted. Mine have a small step on the pistons and will only go to that step line. I’ve tried a push on g clamp with and without the old pads in place and that’s as far as I can get them. I’ve done a few over the years and recently did the fronts on this car but there just looks like there’s a millimetre too little to get the new disc and pads in.

thanks

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,174 Posts
I wonder if there is a difference between pre ad post facelift parts.
Might be worth confirming correct pads first.

You can check part numbers here:

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
Maybe the diy will help.

@55russamg did you do your rears? If so, any suggestions?

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had a chance to do a little bit of measurement and it seems that the Mintex ones are 16.5mm thick but the Brembo and some others are 15.8mm. I think that if I hadn’t have changed the discs , I would have been ok but the total of the pads and new disc is 59mm do approx 1.4mm larger and that’s the issue. I found a piece of plastic that was about 58mm that fitted between the pistons with the calliper off so I guess I either need to remove material or get a set of pads that are the correct thickness.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,556 Posts
I have new pads in the rear but old discs.
I had a local Indie put them in as I was short on time due to the Alpes trip.
Also I had the Padgid front pads removed and Brembo put in.
I didn't like the lack of initial bite from the Padgid Pads, the Brembo bite immediately.
I only changed my front discs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts