Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a dilemma that I need to resolve. My 1999 230 suffered some rear bumper damage and we cannot find the same bumper cover we had. The bumper was a Mercedes bumper with a Mercedes part number but did not originally come on this car. The body shop doing the work ordered the new bumper from the part number on it as well as sent a picture to the Mercedes dealer parts department. The dealer sent just sent them the original bumper that the car came with from the factory and said the one we had on it was no longer available. I am now looking at aftermarket bumper covers (such as Duraflex, VIS etc.). I can't seam to find any instructions or installation procedures for these covers that would give me an idea of how difficult it would be to replace the cover portion of the bumper if we just had the original complete bumper installed at this time. I was hoping that someone who has installed one of these covers could give me some insight as to the difficulty level of the cover replacement.
The silver one is what was on the car and the black one is the one Mercedes sent that was the original equipment on the car.

thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,212 Posts
I can't recall a thread on this, but there are threads on bumper removal and replacement.
You may find some info there.

R170 diy section.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
The two wide slots in the bottom of your bumper are unique.
None of the original 4 bumper versions have that.

Try Google images to look for something similar, I have never seen this, so it is quite likely a modification or an aftermarket bumper.
The bumper on your car has what looks like the removeable rub strips like the facelift, post 2000, cars but yours is built a year or two before that proving it has been changed at some time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts