Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a fix, or an easy way to avoid cracking the center trim on the rear bumper cover? (I find that if I'm pulling anything heavy out of the trunk, it's hard not to lean up against it and it cracks!) I'm thinking about putting a permanent split in it and then filling that in with some red RTV or something else with some pliability. It's mostly just an aesthetic thing . . . but to see a jagged crack there on an otherwise pristine bumper is annoying.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, are you talking about the black interior trim or the colored rear bumper cover. Your picture doesn't look right for a SLK320. I've had an 01 since 04. I haul all kinds of stuff including a heavy argon tank refill for my TIG welding. And I drive in the winter in WI. No cracks. If it has cracked at the center where the trunk latch is, I suggest a part from a MB dismantler or you may score one on Ebay.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the schematic picture of the rear bumper cover from the MB folk, also pictured below with the crack area highlighted. The crack is caused when some amount of pressure (such as from a knee while leaning into the trunk) presses up against the center section. I can get all the parts I want, but this isn't the first time it's happened to me. So whether I've just had some brittle parts or bad luck, I would just rather not have them crack!

Perhaps some reinforcement is in order, filling up the cavity with so foam so any pressure it transferred back to and spread out between the trim and the bumper cover; since it's more flexible than the trim.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.