Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on the rear end bushes and control arms and replaced them all on drivers side today. I fitted new handbrake shows disc and pads too. My troubles arose when I tightened the discs retaining screw. While it was loose it turned freely, but when I tightened it up the disc was jammed solid. Took me awhile figuring it out, but the new shoes I bought are 4mm wider than the ones that came off, and when the retaining screw is tightened the inner lip on the disc is jamming against the brake shoes. When I look up the parts online they clearly state they are for my vehicle and I looked on various car parts places but all say the same. I have contacted the company I bought them from to see what they say but wont hear until Monday. Anyone else had these issues? Where do you buy your handbrake shoes? What make do you buy?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
By the looks of things you have just said your answer the shoes are wrong if they are wider than original ones .

Hence disc / drum locking up when tightened .

Go original brake shoes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These new ones are 4-5mm wider, the original ones are 20mm wide. I've checked them against the new ones for wear and they have the same amount of braking material left as a new one. So I'm re-using the old ones. Refitted old ones today and just scuffed up the surface to take away the shine and dust and all works great now. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear brake shoes for slk 320 A1244200720
Diameter [mm]: 164
Width [mm]: 20
Thanks, these shoes I bought are 25mm wide but they are on every car parts site and say they are for my vehicle. TRW makes them. I may email them to tell them to take the SLK R170 off the fitment list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts