Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
car just failed mot corrosion on rear brake pipes (only 2 months since service not even an mention on brake pipes )gonna crawl under her tomorrow and have a look
MB quoted 480 quid and said it takes about 5 hours to do does this sound right time wise?
cheers
steve

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
That time estimate is similar to the one I got from my local MB Independent at the last service... apparently, they have to have the rear axle out to do the work too! :(

I guess others with better mechanical knowledge than I have will now confirm whether that's realistic or not though...

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
The time estimate seems rather long to me, if by "brake pipes" you mean the flexible rubber lines which connect the hard lines on the chassis to the calipers and, of course, are flexible to accommodate suspension movement. Those flexible lines shouldn't take more than an hour to R&R, followed by a bleeding of the lines. I'm thinking more like two hours to do the job. If it is the chassis hard lines that need replacement I can understand why that might take longer and entail removal of suspension and axle parts for access.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
It was the hard lines that needed replacing on mine, due to corrosion :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your replies
its the hard lies not the rubber hoses
replaced a few pipes in various other cars normally a couple of hours max
not done much work on the slk so when they said 5 hours thought i would do a bit of digging to see what was involved, more than i thought it seems
cheers
steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.