Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've just picked up a 2005 SLK55 this week and failed to notice the rear discs aren't in great condition.

I've priced replacements up with Merc and they seem a little steep, I was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I can get a decent replacement part, hopefully at a more favorable cost?

I've seen the below, can anyone let me know if they are a suitable replacement as I believe there are a couple of different types for this model:

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/mercedes/slk-1996/slk-55-r171-06-04/rear-brake-discs.html

VIN is WDB1714732F080440 if that helps determine the part I require

Many thanks

Mark

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,089 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

some good 05/06 model info:
http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/#dtb

your brochure:
http://www.ragtop.org/mbbrochures/index.html

your owner's and maintenance manuals:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals

mods you should do:
smarttop
clear and tinted side markers
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen

Post your vin to get a datacard (window sticker of options)

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click on the ‘paper clip’ or go to ‘advanced’ and then ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (window sticker of options)
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,089 Posts
here ya go!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Mark - so what's wrong with your disks that they need to be replaced? Are they below the thickness spec? If there is only a little rust on them, that can be removed by just driving the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the welcome and for all the info and datacard, it's much appreciated. As advised, I'll update my user profile etc. and introduce myself in the new members section shortly..I'll look in to the mods you have suggested too.

Sokoloff - The reason I think I need to replace the discs is because they are scored with grooves quite badly, The pads look okay so I'm wondering if the previous pads were left to run right down and that's whats caused the damage. There is currently a grinding noise while driving which is coming from the brakes so I'm hoping new discs and pads will rectify this problem.

I don't know if it's possible to have these discs skimmed back to get them flat again or if replacing them is the better option?

Any advise on where I can buy replacements or have them skimmed in the UK would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the welcome and for all the info and datacard, it's much appreciated. As advised, I'll update my user profile etc. and introduce myself in the new members section shortly..I'll look in to the mods you have suggested too.

Sokoloff - The reason I think I need to replace the discs is because they are scored with grooves quite badly, The pads look okay so I'm wondering if the previous pads were left to run right down and that's whats caused the damage. There is currently a grinding noise while driving which is coming from the brakes so I'm hoping new discs and pads will rectify this problem.

I don't know if it's possible to have these discs skimmed back to get them flat again or if replacing them is the better option?

Any advise on where I can buy replacements or have them skimmed in the UK would be appreciated.
You need to get the thickness of the rotor and let whomever you choose to do the work make that decision. Do you have parts stores in your area? if so, visit them and see what they have.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I ordered my brake discs from Parts.com. Prices were about 50% of the dealer quote (OEM SLK55 P30 brakes.)

·
Super Moderator
25,326 Posts
@Mark.....what rear discs did you end up getting?

http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/233026-posting-old-thread-how-fix.html

Last post was in 2013.
Although MarkR171 (last poster) was here in February. Mark55 (original poster) was last here in 2013.
Which Mark were you after?

To 'mention' a member you have to put the full username eg @MarkR171
Although quoting gets most members attention, it does depend on what settings they have chosen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.