Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
This has been posted at least once, but humorous video none the less...

Man im still not a big SLS fan, the SLR is so much better looking :(

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,564 Posts
Me neither. Saw it in flesh and blood a couple of days ago at the dealer. For that price i would take a Gallardo Spyder anyday.

·
Registered
346 Posts
With enough speed this is possible. The question is did they have enough speed. I'm not a physicist, so I can't say for sure. I suspect however the amount of speed needed would be pretty high.

SLR, yes all the way. It's just a beautiful car. It's a car like no other car kind of car :)

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Whether it's real or fake-neat video nonetheless. For the money, I like Ferrari. Also, anything with Michael Schumacher is awesome. Check out "What Will Schumi Do Next" on YouTube. He is a funny guy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep, I actually found the same info after I made my post. So chances are the tunnel stunt was in fact real. Laws of physics say it can be done, so it can be done.
Propably could, but the 37 mph would not be enough.

If you think about the Loop the Loop 5th Gear did, the speed of the car was all along the round cross section of the "tunnel" where as in the stunt Mercedes made, only the speed component that takes the car around the tunnel (floor-wall-ceiling-wall-floor) counts. The speed forward makes no difference, so to speak.

With simple trigonometry it would give an estimated car speed = 37 / sin aoa, where aoa = angle of attack (used loosely here), and providing the 37mph is accurate.
Judging from the video, aoa is about 10 degrees, giving the minimum car speed of about 213 mph. hmm.... of course if we say the angle between the axis of the tunnel and the car is 20 degrees, we get a speed of 100mph, much more believable. I suppose that's why they do it in a curve, as it helps in turning the car more towards the wall.

I say confirmed, in theory.:tu:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That quick look could be done by an SLK with the right calculations.

The SLS is a much better car to drive then to look at. But no matter how good it is, I just cannot see forgoing rear, mid-engine for that price. It certainly is a value when you compare it to the Lexus LF-A and even the SLR, however.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wonder why they shifted from one camera position to another while the car was "engaging" the wall, so to speak! In theory, possible, yes, but in practice, quite a few unknowns in the equation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts