Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps like a lot of people I read an owners manual in the first instance so that i can turn the gadget/car/device on and to turn it off with perhaps the additional quick reference if I can't get a button to work. But I've learned my lesson and tend to do a re-read of the whole manual, just to look at the mundane bits of information. Then I get annoyed because I find bits of information that I should have been aware of from the start.

Here's a few examples and confirm if you knew this before:

1) (Page 136 of the 2010 owners manual).
Your vehicle has a clear Matt finish. For this reason, you should make sure that you adhere to the following instructions to avoid damage to paintwork due to improper treatment.
! Under no circumstances should you polish the vehicle. Polishing will make the paintwork shine. :confused:
!! When caring for your paintwork do not use paint cleaners, grinding or polishing products, or gloss preservers such as wax. :confused::confused:

2) Having thought that I had no control of the fixed A/C vents, just above the Audio 20, I find this little nugget, (Page 104 of the 2010 owners manual).
To open the fixed air vents: turn thumb-wheel 2 and 5 up to the first indent.
To close the fixed air vents: turn the thumb-wheels 2 and 5 down or up beyond the first detent. (This answer wasn't available when I asked the distributor). Now I can prevent further complaints from my wife about her hands freezing on the steering wheel.

Is there any other nuggets of information on your operation of your SLK that you only just recently found which we all need to share?

Cheers!:burnout:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,463 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laughing!!!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
I hope they don't ask that thumbwheel thing on an exam cause ima gonna fail. Have to look it up every year when I drag the car out.

G.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,212 Posts
have you gotten up in the middle of the night b/c you couldn't sleep after your SLK purchase so you got out the manual... then looked at the clock? OMG... got to leave for work in 1 hour! :bannana:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
have you gotten up in the middle of the night b/c you couldn't sleep after your SLK purchase so you got out the manual... then looked at the clock? OMG... got to leave for work in 1 hour! :bannana:

No, but I've gotten up in the middle of the night and gone for a top down ride more times than I can count! :)

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
it's more intuitive now on the 172
Its more intuitive but they still make statements like this:

The "automatic climate control" function is only available in conjunction with automatic climate control.
Page 122 2012 SLK manual
Yes, I read other years and other models manuals.

I find the printed manuals too cumbersome and never around when I need them plus you cannot do a quick search (what does the index do?). My smart phone holds about 20 manuals although the diagrams are hard to see so laptop and tablets work. I have kept a few printed manuals associated with vehicles I have kept.

G

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best thing i ever found out was that you could bring down the 2 small back windows with the top up by just double tapping the convertible button and i didn't need no stinking manual for that. Thanks to this forum ^_^

·
1,212 Posts
... had to read the manual to figure out how to remotely open/close the top *without* purchasing a smart-top mod :)

no... I won't give in to the dark side! I am a Jedi Knight!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
... had to read the manual to figure out how to remotely open/close the top *without* purchasing a smart-top mod :)

no... I won't give in to the dark side! I am a Jedi Knight!

"That's not the mod you are looking for". "That's not the mod we are - wait - THAT IS the mod we are looking for!"

Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me! :)

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Best thing i ever found out was that you could bring down the 2 small back windows with the top up by just double tapping the convertible button and i didn't need no stinking manual for that."

OMG! OMG!!
At last another nugget !

Thanks

·
1,212 Posts
you've got a lot of guts coming in here! Jabba's put a bounty on your head for soliciting smart tops! :tu:

"That's not the mod you are looking for". "That's not the mod we are - wait - THAT IS the mod we are looking for!"

Your Jedi mind trips don't work on me! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.