Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: hitches (no pro's & cons, just what I found)

I have located & installed - Mercedes SLK Trailer Hitch, 98-04 - Class I - By Curt Mfg on my SLK 230. For those concerned about weight etc., I'm only towing the Bushtec trailer that I used to pull behind my Goldwing. Quantum GL Motorcycle Trailer | Complements Honda Goldwing Luxury Touring Bikes, Generous Cargo Capacity Quantum GL GT (repainted to match of course). For those concerned about my immortal soul for the sacrilege of towing anything behind an SLK. We are driving from Ohio to Alaska this summer, mostly with the top down (this was to be a trip on the bike but my wife's health ruled that out). The trailers plates says it all.....RTRUNK.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,917 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues that made the trip on the Wing impossible. The SLK with the top down towing a trailer is the next best thing. If a Wing can tow a trailer then I certainly don't see a problem with an SLK doing the same. Look forward to seeing pictures of the car and trailer. Enjoy the trip of a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trip

Our son; daughter-in-law; and grandchild (any minute now) are there. We'll be gone at least 2 months & up there 1 of them. I'm worried about ground clearance, lots of potholes, unimproved roads, etc.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've seen a few SLKs with hitches... and I'm putting one on to pull my trailer with tires on it for racing the SLK... so don't anticipate so much distaste ;) . Should be a good trip- enjoy it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put the hitch on my E300D a few years back. It's the Curtis hitch from JC Whitney much like the one for the SLK. I do pull a small trailer ( 4 x 8 ) that I mostly put some yard waist or a sofa to the dump type of things in it. So not much weight. The hitch is easy to install in under an hour with great instructions and fit.

The main reason I have the hitch is for my bike rack. I can easily transport a pair of bikes and access the trunk.

Taking toys (surf kites, bikes etc. ) are harder in the SLK so I am going to put a receiver hitch on mine soon. It does not ruin the look of the car like a regular hitch and allows for a variety of accessories. Grills, carry platforms bike racks and I can totally see dragging a small trailer along for trips with the top down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.