Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's quite a bit of interior rattling noises with the top up, disappears when the top is down. I understand with all the moving parts and age that there's bound to be some rattles however I'm wondering if anyone has had some success in reducing the noise. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
Hi there..

If you use the Search facility.. you will discover all you need to know......this is so common... we all seem to suffer it at one time or another..

Spring Routine is....Gummi Phflege and more Gummi Phflege...

http://www.slkworld.com/226839-post1.html

You need to read the threads carefully.. photos are included... and the stuff is easily available to buy .. just Google it.

Good luck :smile::smile::smile:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
16,099 Posts
Good advise from C and S as always.:smile: I guess you have not driven a Gogomobile Coupe talking about a Rattlebox. Dont let the good Looks of the Coupe fool you.:grin: When I had my R 170 a little Bang here and there with the Fist resolved the Issues quickly.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,227 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
SCF

I need to do the same as you! My car had the seals done a couple years back, and I need to do them now myself.

You can also buy the special dupont product on eBay if you want to use the exact product the dealer uses on the seals.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is always going to be a bit more "rattling" with the roof up than there is with the roof down, and you can hear it better without the wind noise of driving with the top down. You can get rid of a lot of it by lubricating the various seals and rubber positioning bumpers and having them snugly adjusted. There are several threads about how to adjust the trunk lid to minimize it rattling. I find it also a bit more quiet with the luggage cover closed (i.e. in the position to make it possible to operate the top) than when it is in the full access to the trunk position. The top itself is relatively quiet in my car.

·
103,227 Posts
There is always going to be a bit more "rattling" with the roof up than there is with the roof down, and you can hear it better without the wind noise of driving with the top down. You can get rid of a lot of it by lubricating the various seals and rubber positioning bumpers and having them snugly adjusted. There are several threads about how to adjust the trunk lid to minimize it rattling. I find it also a bit more quiet with the luggage cover closed (i.e. in the position to make it possible to operate the top) than when it is in the full access to the trunk position. The top itself is relatively quiet in my car.
my post 4 above has those links to adjust all the stuff :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi MB

I ordered some of the Gummi stuff but it hasn't arrived yet. From a related thread I read about putting a tape or similar material on the bottom of the roof edge where it sits on top of the windshield. I tried it with a thin piece of door/window foam insulation tape and it eliminated most of the rattles. Since it's an insulation I think it will also be ok to keep water out when the top is closed. I'll test that out this weekend with a small amount of water. Good luck.

·
103,227 Posts
I had my weatherstripping replaced and that would help also if you got extra scheckles hanging around. see my thread somewhere :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.